Is there a Mike in the house
MasonJar Wrote:
cn nutbar Wrote:I checked one of my books:"Canadian National Steam Power by Cregg and Corley" for clarification.When the Canadian National Railway was created in 1923,it adopted the tilted rectangular insignia from the Grand Trunk Pacific railway.It was applied at the same angle until 1954,when the application was changed to straight horizontal for simpler installation.

The herald was also straight when used with the maple leaf backgrounder (see Mr Nutbar's avatar) during WW2.

Andrew

Andrew, I must have missed this post earlier, but I can't locate any evidence of the "wafer" being applied straight before 1954 when used with the maple leaf background. The giveaway is in the style of the leaf, as the post-'42/pre-'54 leaf was a simpler version, with a blunt-tipped leaf (first in white, then, starting in 1944, green):
[Image: TheBeeandsomefreightcars006.jpg]

(A green leaf was used in 1942, but only on three experimental unpainted aluminum boxcars. These also had the tilted wafer. Reefers (in grey paint) got either an all-red leaf and tilted wafer or a green leaf with a tilted red wafer.)

The 1954 leaf was much more detailed, and the wafer was, in all cases which I've seen, level. Boxcars and similarly-coloured reefers got a green leaf with white wafer, while grey reefers got a green leaf but with a red wafer (and red lettering). Cabooses got the pointy leaf in either white or green and white. Ed may have some pictures of the green ones on freight cars, but here's the pointy white version:
[Image: Layoutviewsetc-caboose3.jpg]

...and, for comparison on the same car, the earlier blunt-tipped leaf:
[Image: TheBeeandsomefreightcars015.jpg]

There's quite a bit more information on this topic HERE

And, just to keep the thread on-topic, here's an Erie Northshore Mike at the Lowbanks coaling tower:
[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainBrainsecondcd061.jpg]

Wayne

Messages In This Thread