Reading P7sa back to a C1
Frank, my guess is that the majority of the piping is for the injectors and a dual-feed check valve, since your first photo shows evidence of neither in their usual locations.

I can see two possibilities for the piping. In the first, the top-mounted check valve may be in the cab or directly in front of it, while the pipes leading to it are for water delivery. That would then mean that the outboard lower pipes are water delivery from the tender, while the lower inboard pipes are drain/overflow lines - note the unions on each pipe. I'm guessing that the fixture on the pipe connecting the two injectors is the steam supply to run the injectors.

The second possibility is that the top fixture is the steam supply, which would mean that the lower outboard pipes are the drain/overflow lines, while the inboard ones are the water supply from the tender.
Note in both cases that there are valves on both injectors to shut-off both steam and water, regardless of which pipe is which, and also what appear to be actuating levers (upright, and leaning outwards at an angle above the lower valve handles).
Both possibilities are unusual when compared to more modern useage, as both put cold water into the boiler very close to the firebox, and both are picking up steam very close to that incoming cold water. Both of the scenarios I've suggested are only guesses, but I favour the first, as there's a good likelihood that the fixture between the two injectors isn't actually picking up steam at its mounting point, but rather that it's connected to a pipe within the boiler that runs to the steam dome (where steam naturally collects).
The circular device for reversing was used extensively on the CPR, so its useage here may not be at all unusual. The stuff under the engineer's seat may be brake-related, as may be the device with the three connections, but I'm only guessing in both cases. Pete's suggestion of hydrostatic lubricators makes more sense. As for the two extra levers, perhaps they're for grate shakers.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread