Six vs four axle loco
faraway Wrote:Todays class 1 RR are mostly free of pure switchers and use their low end engines to serve local industries. Todays low end engines are the champions of the past. Therefor are GP38 and SD40 a perfect fit and very common found at locals serving industry.
The only point with 6 axle engines is the minimum radius of tracks they can handle. Your layout should give the impression of not to tight curves. Modern industries connected with a gentle curve to the mainline are no problem to be served with a SD40 etc.
An employee time table is a good source to find out what engines are permitted on a specific line and connected industries.

It is also important to choose the right timeframe. GP38-2 and SD40-2 are no low end engines on a 1980 layout! You should be at least in the current century.

Last but not least I suggest you a critical eye on the radius of the curves on your layout. The models can negotiate impressive tight curves without derailment but is simply looks awful. But that is a matter of personal taste.

Hi,

I decided my layot is current (Ie, 2015 in a few weeks) and the sharpest bend I have on the layout is a #6 switch... Thumbsup

Messages In This Thread