Advice on Floquil paints?
I've always use lacquer thinner for Floquil paints, both the old and the new formulae. In most applications, I like it about 50/50, although in some instances I use less thinner. For weathering, I thin it with up to 90% lacquer thinner, but don't recommend using it as a brush-applied wash. Thinned to this degree, it's possible to build-up very subtle weathering effects with your airbrush. Likewise, I don't like it for brush-painting plastics - the thinner will attack styrene when applied too "wet".
Depending on the material on which you're applying the paint and on the finish colour which you wish to use, their Grey Primer can be useful. Where you use, for instance, white styrene to modify a black styrene model, then add details in other colours or in brass, the primer will provide an even surface for the finish coat, giving the final colour a uniform appearance over all of the disparate materials.
Airbrushed, Floquil dries to the touch in minutes, but should be left at least 24 hours before re-coating or decaling. If you can still detect paint odour, it's not fully cured.
For spraying, I'd recommend a spray booth vented to the outdoors and a two-stage respirator - exposure to these types of organic chemicals can be very dangerous. Use lacquer thinner to clean your airbrush, being careful to not get it on any plastic parts.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread