How to Learn "Railroad Speak"?
Gary S Wrote:Anyone have links or info on how I can learn more about the language that real railroaders use? As an operations oriented layout owner, I want to add a more "railroady" atmosphere.
Can't say that I've ever run across such a web site other than ones that might have definitions of some commonly used terms. But you must remember that some terminology used on different railroads and in different parts of the country may be different.
Gary S Wrote:Here's an example.... operating session, me being dispatcher, it is 09:15, I want to inform the local AT&G crew that there is an inbound BNSF through train arriving in our territory at 09:30 so they can clear the main. Here is what I say...

"uh, crew 1, there is an inbound BNSF freight due to arrive in Pearland Yard at 09:30, will be at Almeda Industrial Park around 09:40, you need to get out of his way."

How do I make that sound more authentic? And more to the point, where can I learn more of the proper talk? Any internet links out there? Books or reading material? Maybe a scanner and go listen to the real railroads?
Simple example:
You: "XYZ Dispatcher (your location) to (Train or Engine) NNN (train or engine number of crew 1). Over"
Crew: "XYZ (Train or Engine) NNN answering dispatcher Over"
You: "BNSF should be arriving Pearland around 09:30. Need for you to Clear up. Over"
Crew: "Understand we need to Clear up for BNSF - will advise when we're in the clear. Over"
You: "XYZ Dispatcher Out"
Crew: "XYZ NNN Out"
Once the crew has cleared the Main track and locked up all switches (and only then) they must call the dispatcher.
Crew: "XYZ NNN calling the Dispatcher (location) Over"
You: "XYZ Dispatcher (location) answering NNN Over"
Crew: "XYZ NNN is in the Clear at (location) Over"
You: "XYZ NNN in the Clear at (location) HH:MM Over"
Crew should repeat the time given by the dispatcher... Then as before...
You: "XYZ Dispatcher Out"
Crew: XYZ NNN Out"

Main Thing: Keep all radio transmissions as brief as possible while still getting out the important information and always be sure that you're talking to the right people and everyone involved has a clear understanding of what is to be done. Over the years, there have been some serious accidents in the industry when a dispatcher or operator thought they were talking to one train and it was actually another one!

In all likelihood, if your crew is working on a main track where through freights run, you'd have given them a Track Warrant or Work Authority with specific time and limits to occupy the main at that location and they must report clear of those limits on or before the specified time.

Get a scanner if you don't already have one or as Reinhard suggested listen in on an Internet radio site, and listen to how it's done on the railroad you're modeling. If possible, get hold of a rule book for that specific railroad and also a Timetable/Special instructions so you'll be familiar with their required radio rules and other instructions that might be in effect.

As I said, the jargon and some other terminology will vary from railroad to railroad, but in all instances, any instructions between the dispatcher/yardmaster/train director/whoever and anyone using the main track must be repeated to insure everyone has the proper understanding of what is to be done.

Should mention that the "unauthorized chatter" that you'll often hear on the radio, especially between the train crews, can be a riot!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread