How to Learn "Railroad Speak"?
Very good guys, that's what I am looking for. Thanks for the examples of "the speak" and for the ideas and links.

Ed, you also gave me a good idea for my switchlist/instructions document for each of the local trains. I can put specific instructions on when they need to have the main clear. That would be like a track warrant or work authorization?

On the other hand, where the local train actually is would depend on how efficiently they have been making their moves, so giving them instructions for a specific location ahead of time may not work in conjunction with the through trains. Probably needs to be handled in "real time".

Brings up another question, on a shortline like mine, with moderate through traffic, would the local crews need to get "real time" permission from the dispatcher to block the main during their moves?

For background, the Almeda Terminal and Gulf is a shortline owned by the BNSF. It is operationally similar to the LAJ. The reason there are "through trains" is because of the connection to Seabrook. The BNSF runs freights over the ATG trackage to get there. Also, the UP brings cuts of cars all the way to Dixie Yard. So, we have BNSF through trains going and coming to Seabrook, and we have occasional UP trains on the ATG trackage going to Dixie Yard.

Any discussion is welcomed!

The diagram doesn't reflect all trackage, it just shows the overall idea:

[Image: image.php?album_id=123&image_id=4243]

Here is a rough "flow" diagram of the ATG just to show the conceptual aspects.

Messages In This Thread