My new basement, or, how to fill it
Less is more? I greatly simplified the main line run, leaving plenty of width in the bottom half for yard operators. I'm trying to fit the yard in here, but it's still awfully tight. I have 2 A/D tracks plus 6 class tracks and a lead. Still haven't been able to cram in a caboose track and a lead to a possible service facility (in front of the lead, I think).
Downside, this cuts the mainline length to under 2 scale miles (this is just the lower deck, so total would be double this).
Upside, lots of room in the upper right to locate what will likely be the biggest industry, a cement plant.
All tracks are longer than the expected longest train - I might be able to shorten things by up to a foot and still have a long enough track even on the shortest one to assemble the longest train that would run. All turnouts in the drawing are Peco Code 83 #6. With mostly short cars I might be able to get away with #5's in the ladder, but definitely I want the turnouts off the main and the A/D tracks to be #6 to handle mainline power.

[Image: Basement2.jpg]

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com

Messages In This Thread