Printing your own decals.
Recently I have had time to make some of my own decals and the results have reached both ends of the spectrum. For the past 3 or 4 days I have been designing the decals I need for some custom lettered cars and I have had good results in the end. 

The first step is measuring the model so the decals are the right size. Often these are really small. I have found that 300 DPI returns the best results. Smaller gets pixels and larger causes ink runs. I use photoshop Elements 20 and the sizes are easy to match. 

I have found that the white decal paper is better for the colors but then you have to match the background. By doing a test print I realized the background colors need to be darkened to get a better match on the cars you are decaling. 

I hve had some ink run no matter what I do and it doesn't show until the paper is coated with clear coat. I apply the clear with an air brush and thin it with lacquer thinner 50/50, applying the first coat dry and allowing it to set for a few minutes, then 2 more coats just slightly heaver with drying time between coats. Let this dry at least 24 hours.  

When I did the final print of today's project I went a step farther and borrowed my wife's hair dryer and warmed up the printer and the paper and set it on low and kept the low heat on while the print ws coming out. I am hoping the ink will nor run at all with the warmer paper and printer. This is what I hope to have when everything is dry.     

I will continue when the ink is dry. 
Charlie

Messages In This Thread
Printing your own decals. - by Charlie B - 02-22-2024, 02:46 PM
RE: Printing your own decals. - by LiveSteamer - 02-22-2024, 03:50 PM
RE: Printing your own decals. - by Amalynn - 02-22-2024, 04:54 PM
RE: Printing your own decals. - by BR60103 - 02-22-2024, 08:01 PM
RE: Printing your own decals. - by Charlie B - 02-22-2024, 08:59 PM
RE: Printing your own decals. - by Charlie B - 02-22-2024, 09:15 PM
RE: Printing your own decals. - by Charlie B - 02-22-2024, 09:44 PM
RE: Printing your own decals. - by Charlie B - 02-22-2024, 10:02 PM