Walthers Plymouth ML-8 in DC version
Thought I'd share some info on this.
All the reviews I found on line were for the DCC equipped model, which looks to operate very nicely.
I wasn't sure whether it would operate alright on DC, couldn't find any specific info on that.
My layout is DC, and I'm just not ready to convert my locos to DCC just yet.

Saw this DC version at Pacific Rim Hobbies in Port Angeles WA, and got to test one. I ended up buying it. I also tested a Trackmobile model, but it only had one end with an operating coupler. Physically, the ML8 is a nice little model. As a tiny switcher, it will most likely be used at slow speed moving only a couple cars. The DCC videos look great, but what about DC?

Some observations on the DC version:
This model prefers clean track.
I use Code 83 atlas snap track and snap switches. There are some pickup issues in switches between points and frog. The demo track I tested at the shop was wired for both DC and DCC; it had feeder wires soldered to every rail joiner. I suspect my performance would improve with more consistent power in the moveable points. Also the short wheelbase allows for it sometimes not riding straight along the rails. The little critter can be rotated slightly when setting on straight track. This can affect electrical pickup.

I've run it a bit over an hour total in break in mode on my own layout.
Following that, here are the timed performances as follows:

7 volts: 18.6 mph (scale)
6 volts: 16.3 mph --runs ok thru snap switches
5 volts: 12.8 mph --usually runs ok thru snap switches
4 volts: 7.8 mph --some stalls in 11 trials, usually ok if going thru the straight part
3.75 V: 6.0 mph --some stuttering on straight track; stalled 2 out of 6 runs, between points and frogs.

Speed was estimated by stop watch over 35 inches, with turnouts at each end.
Calcs based on multiple runs, using this formula from a Bachmann forum:
Scale MPH = ((L x F/12)/5280) x 3600/T; where
L is length of travel in inches
F is scale factor (e.g. 87.1)
T is time in seconds

If I knew the DCC model one could be run on DC ok, I probably would have gotten the DCC one if only for the keep-alive capacitor. But I do like the loco, I'll just have to nurse it through switches with a little more power. It's a very attractive little thing. Actually, amazingly tiny next to regular rolling stock.

Hope this is useful.
That's a nice review. I remember engines running like that when I was running HO.
Believe it or not, the shorter G scale engines run like that too. Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Hillyard999, thanks for taking the time to post this. though it is not likely I will buy one of these it is great that you reviewed it. I think it might just be something I will do for some of my models when time allows. Sharing this information honestly is always a good buying tool.
Charlie
Is Pacific Rim Hobbies in Port Angeles WA the one in the old Milwaukee freight house? Went there a few times back in 2004.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
<<Is Pacific Rim Hobbies in Port Angeles WA the one in the old Milwaukee freight house? >>

Hi Andy,

I'm no expert on the Milwaukie RR, maybe someone else can answer that question. 
But you can see the building for yourself via google maps, 
https://www.google.com/maps/@48.1214465,...312!8i6656

It's just a block from the Black Ball ferry slip that services Victoria.

BTW
For those who are interested in industries served by rail , there is also some sort of paper mill at the west end of town- at the W end of Ediz Hook.  This must have surely been served by rail at one time, altho the satellite photos don't seem to show it.  Maybe the tracks were in the road?

Doug C in Salem.
I- Thanks for the review but I don't see what the scale is?
2- Do you have a picture of it, I'm not sure what a ML-8 is.
3- Hopefully after some break-in time it will perform better at low speed.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
<<I- Thanks for the review but I don't see what the scale is?
<<2- Do you have a picture of it, I'm not sure what a ML-8 is.
<<3- Hopefully after some break-in time it will perform better at low speed.

Hi Mike,

1)  The model is HO scale.
2)  I don't know how to post photos, but here are two links to the DCC version. 
Since I use DC only, they didn't address my questions.

Walthers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODW6wj12nDY

Model Railroader:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQW9TL-oer4

3)  Thanks for the thought.  It would be nice if it went slower, but it's good enough. Maybe it will improve over time as the brushes wear in more.
It's a bit old for my layout time period, but plausible as a worn out piece of equipment in light use at an industry.
--Doug
Thanks, I never like locos like that as without side frames it doesn't look finished even though it is.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Hillyard - noted your comment on the Trackmobile, and - should you want to add a second coupler - see http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/...ent-253197
(06-26-2018, 07:31 AM)shortliner Wrote: Hillyard - noted your comment on the Trackmobile, and - should you want to add a second coupler - see  http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/...ent-253197

Shortliner,
Thanks for the link.  I will bookmark this for future reference.  The Trackmobile is a nice little model too.
--Doug C in Salem, OR