Log cabin
(09-21-2022, 12:22 PM)ezdays Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 10:38 AM)jim currie Wrote: looking good don. how are you going to handle the door openings? 
Jim

I glued backup strips behind the window and door edges so the logs will stay in place. I have a #15 Xacto blade which has a very narrow saw edge that will cut them out. I need to find the right door and windows before I start cutting. That is going to be the nervous part.

windows shouldn't be hard from what I've seen in old cabin's the window openings were cut halfway into two logs. but a slab door is gona be tough to find in N scale you might have to make one. most of the older log cabin's I've seen had a hand-hewn or a hand sawed slab pegged to the logs to hold them in place then the door fit inside
(09-21-2022, 02:30 PM)jim currie Wrote: windows shouldn't be hard from what I've seen in old cabin's the window openings were cut halfway into two logs. but a slab door is gona be tough to find in N scale you might have to make one. most of the older log cabin's I've seen had a hand-hewn or a hand sawed slab pegged to the logs to hold them in place then the door fit inside

I think I'm going to wind up with single-pane windows, but I want to be sure they're age appropriate. The door won't be hard to make, but the hardware will be challenging. I've got a few episodes recorded of "Barnwood Builders" that I'm looking through to get an idea what they did back in the 1800's for windows and doors, plus get a color match for weathered logs. My biggest challenge is doing the chinking, but I'm nowhere near that point.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Second story is up, got the doorway framed, 2' 8" x 6' 8". I did a bit of research and found that 4-pane and up to 6 over 6 pane windows would meet the era. I found some 4-pane that I hope will look appropriate. A solid plank door with wrought iron hardware would be good.

Here's a shot of where I am now, plus what I have for windows. They don't quite match, but four go in front and three different ones in back should work. After all, the pioneers used what they had available, why can't I do likewise?

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
That hard work is really paying off. It is a great looking cabin. 
Charlie
Don on the chinking i have an idea of using a large bore hypodermic needle filled with spackling, might be the thing to add the chinking with and not smear it on outside of logs.
Jim
Thanks Charlie, come to think about it, I've been on it a while now... And yeah, it is more work that I anticipated, but still rewarding.

Good thought Jim, I need to do the chinking after I stain the wood and it could get messy if I'm not careful. I thought about making a test wall, I think I've got a needle large enough to work. I also think I'm going to clear seal everything before I do the chinking, just in case.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don not building any N scale I have needles ranging from 16 gauge up to 26 gauge when I worked at feed lot let me know if you don't have one big enough.
Jim
(09-24-2022, 07:41 PM)jim currie Wrote: Don not building any N scale I have needles ranging from 16 gauge up to 26 gauge when I worked at feed lot let me know if you don't have one big enough.
Jim

Thanks Jim, I have a couple of plastic syringes and dispensers that should work. I'll let you know if they don't. I was thinking of using joint compound because it dries much slower than spackling, plus I have a tub of it ready to use. Awesome
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Had a busy day, got the roof ready for sheeting.  Front door and windows are in, but they need to get painted to match the log weathering whenever that happens.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
That's starting to look pretty-darn good, Don. Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
(09-25-2022, 09:32 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: That's starting to look pretty-darn good, Don. Applause Applause Applause

Wayne

Thank you kind sir, I feel like a pioneer blazing a trail all the way to the western edge of the country, Ohio... Icon_cool
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Very impressive work, Don!
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Just an update. I did the weathering of the logs and wood and got most of the chinking done. It looks a mess, but using the syringe really helped a lot. Now I have a lot, (really a lot) Waiting   of cleanup left since I still have chinking where it doesn't belong and some spots that are missing or that needs smoothing out, but regardless of how bad it looks now, it's progress. Remember, this cabin, being 150 years old, is supposed to look a bit shabby. Icon_rolleyes

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
That looks pretty good to me, Don. Thumbsup Thumbsup

I have a garage, in my backyard, that according to the people from whom we bought our building lot, is now over 180 years old. 

Wayne
Some simulated cedar shakes for the roof?
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows