Some "puzzling" pointers
I've completed five of these wooden puzzles or models and I can't help but learned a few things as I go along. The first one, the steam locomotive, was suppose to run, but didn't. If I was to build it today, it might run because of what I've learned doing the ones that I've done. I've read quite a few of the star comments on Amazon describing mostly the problems folks have putting these together. So if you think you'd like to try to do one of these (be careful, you can get hooked), just a bit of advice to save the heartaches that have caused some people to give up quickly.

I think you could put these together without using tools, but without them, it can get frustrating. All parts are laser cut, but some are difficult just taking them off the sheets others can break if you use force to get the tabs into the slots. Here's what I use in all facets of building these.

Two types of small pliers to grab parts either off the sheets or to snap into place. The hammer can drive a stubborn part home without excessive force or twisting a part and breaking it. The kits come with a screwdriver if there are screws and they also include a file and/or a piece of sandpaper to clean up parts. I have a set of small files that I use instead. I also use the pliers and channel locks to squeeze parts together when I can't use the hammer. The instructions also say, "no glue required", but at times that's the only way two parts will stay together. BTW, all these kits have spare parts for some that are very small or tend to break easily. They also say that you can get free replacement parts by contacting them.

The instructions are normally very concise and accurate. There are major steps with many sub-steps and when I finish a step, I go back and make sure I didn't miss anything and then put a check-mark next to each sub-step. It doesn't take talent as much as patience, most folks that give up seem to be a bit short-tempered and trash the kit after just a few minutes of trying. I've also mentioned that some parts are suppose to be bent, and spraying them with water helps keep them from breaking.

Those are just a few pointers, many kits are in the $20US range and are sold all over the world, some are a bit more expensive if they have mechanical or electronic part, like the pinball machine does.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD