SP&S Shelf Layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: SP&S Shelf Layout (/showthread.php?tid=2883)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - torikoos - 06-02-2011

Cheers everyone, and Greg of course :-) It's great to read (in an odd way) that I'm not the only one looking at that dilemma. I did the same, what I build so far, deviates from my drawing to some extend.
I like the layout Greg, and the backdrop is fantastic, I'll be visiting your thread regularly to see how you progress.

Koos

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 06-12-2011

Well I am commited to the curve at least in one spot...
[Image: Bend+53.jpg]

This weekend I put in the last four light fixtures, painted the benchwork tops, and even glued down some track. I will try an glue down some CVMW tie strips tomorrow and add the Brooks-Scanlon loading track. I have dropped the wires on the part that is glued down but am a ways away from doing the actual wiring. Now I just have to wait until Micro Engineering has their #6 switches again.

More photos on my website http://www.oregontrunk.blogspot.com/

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - Gary S - 06-12-2011

Always good to see your progress, Greg. So ME is out of #6 switches? Any ETA for them? Hope this doesn't hold you up.

That's a nice looking covered hopper too.

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 06-13-2011

My dealer was told to contact them after June 23rd...So we will see...

I have other stuff I can do but I sure wish I could get trains running again... Thumbsup

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - lears2005 - 06-13-2011

Thats why I bought a fast tracks jig of ebay cheap so I dont have to worry ob if they have the turnouts in stock or not. 219

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 06-14-2011

Being as I only need 12 switches for this layout buying a track jig did not seem that cost effective. I figured I could just order the switches I needed and put them, well so much for that great planning Wink

I had some more spare time and was able to knock out the Brooks Scanlon spur track. It still needs more weathering and I need to connect the wiring, but it is on the right track...
[Image: Bend+58.jpg]

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - torikoos - 06-17-2011

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:I had some more spare time and was able to knock out the Brooks Scanlon spur track. It still needs more weathering and I need to connect the wiring, but it is on the right track...
[Image: Bend+58.jpg]

On the right track, no pun intended there I guess? ;-) Hope all is going well, looking forward to this build. Wayne has been great on painting backdrops recently, and also you are very good at it IMHO, so between the two of you, I hope to pick up some ideas and techniques for when it's time to do my own :-)

Koos

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 07-07-2011

Ok I got my switches in and have installed some more trackage. I have not been able to get past roughing in the switches as I need to drill holes and it seems the little one is always asleep when I have free time. This weekend I should be able to drill holes to my hearts content adn maybe do some wiring Cheers I need to get some power to the track before I loose interest and start on scenery... Misngth

This area will be where the Brooks Willamette particle board plant will be. It will hold between 3 and 4 cars. The track to the left will be for the woodchip loader.

[Image: Bend+59.jpg]

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - tetters - 07-08-2011

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:I have not been able to get past roughing in the switches as I need to drill holes and it seems the little one is always asleep when I have free time.

Been there, done that. My ladies are well past the nap time stage these days. 357

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 07-10-2011

Well I was able to drill some holes, vacum and used my air compressor... Here is what I got completed

A view trackside at the Brooks Willamette switch
[Image: Bend+62.jpg]

A view trackside track on the left is the new woodchip spur
[Image: Bend+63.jpg]

roughing in some scenic stuff for the curve
[Image: Bend+66.jpg]

More pictures on my website
http://oregontrunk.blogspot.com/

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - Green_Elite_Cab - 07-10-2011

looking good!

I do have to ask about the easements though, how necessary are they? I mean, i've read about them, but i suppose i don't understand. If something will fit in a curve, then it will fit. Does the easement just reduce coupler swing between curves and tangent track sections, increasing reliability? or is it a purely cosmetic choice?

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 07-10-2011

GEC: The easements have just come naturally when I was getting the layout together. I think that visually they look more natural but I am not into figuring out exact easements...

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - ocalicreek - 07-11-2011

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:looking good!

I do have to ask about the easements though, how necessary are they? I mean, i've read about them, but i suppose i don't understand. If something will fit in a curve, then it will fit. Does the easement just reduce coupler swing between curves and tangent track sections, increasing reliability? or is it a purely cosmetic choice?

I don't mean to hijack Greg's thread, but I consider easements critical after having gone to a local clinic in which they were radically demonstrated. An O scale two-rail car was pushed, violently, down a stretch of track that had been laid using the classic bent-stick easement technique. It rolled smoothly into the curve and stayed on the track the whole way with a helper standing at the end of the track to catch it.

Easements eliminate that toy-train-layout look associated with beginner train sets. Why Bachmann or Atlas didn't include 'easement' curve sections in their EZ track or roadbed track sections is beyond me. It would DRASTICALLY improve the look and operation of a train set, especially the ones targeted at being starter sets designed to introduce folks to the hobby (beyond the Xmas tree setup).

Anyway, easements do what they say - they allow a train to 'ease' into a curve in order to avoid jerky lateral motion that would potentially derail a train. What is critical for full-sized trains really makes our models look and operate like the real thing too! But, just like the real thing, it takes a little advanced planning, and many modelers aren't patient enough to wait.

Nice work, Greg! Looking forward to see how you 'treat' the track.

Galen

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - Mike Kieran - 07-11-2011

Amazing work Greg. I really think that this will become one heckuva layout. I love the backdrop and I love how you weathered the track.

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 07-28-2011

WELL THAT WAS FUN.....WHERE IS MY CHAINSAW

Well I am moving, and so is some of the layout, maybe. I "degined" it to be moved but not sure I will have the space at the new place for it, sooooo it may just move to a dumpster. I know the backdrop is a complete loss, but I can paint another one on the new layout no problem.

I probably will not be posting much of my work but will be more then happy to encourage you other guys to keep working on stuff!!!