Hedley Junction - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Hedley Junction (/showthread.php?tid=5193)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: Hedley Junction - MLW - 09-23-2014

C'est vraiment bien. bravo

Re: Hedley Junction - Twist - 09-26-2014

Hi there,
that scene is developing great.Nice Photos for the backdrop...I wish I could get some pictures from the Prototype for my backdrop,too. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Cheers,Chris

Re: Hedley Junction - sailormatlac - 09-27-2014

Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted. But now that things are starting to look like a real railroad and not a plywood sheet, I feel it's time to post some new stuff.

@MLW & Twist: thanks!

[Image: IMG_4974b_zpsd9f9c7e4.jpg]

The Donohue's paper mill scene is developping nicely and we started to lay track yesterday. Track plan was modified. It is now about 95% prototypical which is a good thing.

This is the new Clermont yard. A passing siding and a storage siding will be enough to handle traffic from Donohue's plant. It is S-curved just like the prototype but that's because we have little place for it.

[Image: IMG_4719b_zps0d1422d0.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4724b_zps12138d91.jpg]

I also casted in plaster a few bridge abutment following Doctorwayne's technic. Once again, Wayne is the best doctor out there! Results are excellent and from the first try.

[Image: IMG_4735b_zps544fd54b.jpg]

I love the realistic texture of concrete. You feel the worker's ripped off the forms.

[Image: IMG_4734b_zps0b397274.jpg]

I also had a few CN station sign made from a local engraving shop. I had to redraw everything from CN diagram and pictures. I'm really satisfied with the result. Plates are 2" x 12" and 2" x 10". It is a little bit large I must admit it!

[Image: IMG_4737b_zps7006ed02.jpg]

I also built a fleet of Pennsylvania-bound coal hoppers. No modification, but lots of fun to weather them. They are old Bowser and Stewart kits. Mainly used to serve St. Lawrence Cement plant in Villeneuve. They will probably receive a little bit more weathering when I'll make coal loads for them.

[Image: IMG_4710b_zps5874b5a5.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4709b_zps19533b0a.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4708b_zps27a034b8.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4707b_zpsff26a807.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4706b_zpsf5125574.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4705b_zpsaa152766.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4599_zpsad73cc46.jpg]

I also completed a few Tichy tank cars. Nice kits but very time consuming. I also built two Intermountain kits, but feel Tichy part breaking is far better. Hard to believe the kit is old tooling from the 80s.

[Image: IMG_4628b_zps3bc7404c.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4629b_zps6f4da71b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4630b_zps879b06be.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4631b_zpsf6cc0bc7.jpg]

And now, Donohue as it could be seen yesterday evening when we laid about 30% of the trackage. Enjoy the pictures.

First, CN 523 is ready to cross the bridge to pick up a few loaded cars:

[Image: IMG_4907b_zpsf60da178.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4971b_zpse70b2ebd.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4961b_zps08ae27c4.jpg]

The future warehouse and switcher's garage track.

[Image: IMG_4952b_zps07e65c3f.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4973b_zps632ce14a.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4978b_zpsb3e0b533.jpg]

Matt

Re: Hedley Junction - Twist - 09-27-2014

Hi there,
wow,that´s fine looking...Great work.

Cheers,Chris

Re: Hedley Junction - doctorwayne - 09-27-2014

You're making great progress, Matt. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Re: Hedley Junction - sailormatlac - 10-06-2014

doctorwayne Wrote:You're making great progress, Matt. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Well, honestly it was time things start moving forward again!!!! Icon_lol

Spotted some strange car at Donohue, wonder what it is carrying! Probably will make the paper 3% glossier and whiter! Thumbsup

[Image: IMG_5259b_zps0fd4f099.jpg]

Joke aside, we had the first operation session in a while last Friday. Nothing fancy, just switching Donohue paper plant (the only part of the layout with tracks). It was fun time and also nice to find the new track plant for the plant is easy and fun to switch. That means scenery is coming along as soon as I print the backdrop.

Here's some picture of first train on Murray Bay sub since this Spring.

Train #3 spotted at Les Caps in Charlevoix:

[Image: IMG_5231b_zpse7a7e664.jpg]

523 shoving cars over Malbaie River bridge.

[Image: IMG_5216b_zpsbaae61d4.jpg]

A CN woodchip gondola at Donohue. This is the 3D print prototype I made earlier this summer. The car runs well but plastic surface is unsalvageable.

[Image: IMG_5262b_zpsaeb28443.jpg]

I'm actually planning the next scene: Clermont. Hard to tell how things are gonna be once I complete the scenery. We will have to lay track first to make sure it works. Two roads are possible, but hard to choose at this point. Road 2 gives more opportunity to model a nice retaining wall, but the tortuous path looks not very convincing to me. Road #1 gives more place to have a little bit of scenery between the road and the track. I always fing it nice to have a road running parallel to a track.

[Image: StreetView_zpsceb4ace2.jpg]

Matt

Re: Hedley Junction - MLW - 10-13-2014

WOW Eek

This is impressive. Craftsmen level for sure.

I like what you did for the station name (gieving me ideas Goldth )
Nice touch of weathering and excellent scenery foundation.
A great layout by any means.

Thanks for sharing

Re: Hedley Junction - Painkiller - 10-14-2014

Love the progress and I have had lot's in my mind a branch lines along the lines of what has been presented here. On the road i guess the truck owners would love the version one with less curves before intersection, but scenicwise the the version teo would look even better. On that it is a draw... Allways loved the zebra hood units... The layout and the workmanship & detail looks really great!!!

Re: Hedley Junction - Genetk44 - 10-14-2014

Layout is looking great Matt...wonderful modelling. I might have to go to Quebec City next summer. Goldth

Re: Hedley Junction - sailormatlac - 10-14-2014

Painkiller Wrote:On the road i guess the truck owners would love the version one with less curves before intersection, but scenicwise the the version teo would look even better. On that it is a draw...

Great, trucking will loose its competitiveness against the rail! Icon_lol

Genetk44 Wrote:Layout is looking great Matt...wonderful modelling. I might have to go to Quebec City next summer. Goldth

Is that pressure to work faster! Wink

Matt

Re: Hedley Junction - Genetk44 - 10-14-2014

sailormatlac Wrote:
Painkiller Wrote:On the road i guess the truck owners would love the version one with less curves before intersection, but scenicwise the the version teo would look even better. On that it is a draw...

Great, trucking will loose its competitiveness against the rail! Icon_lol

Genetk44 Wrote:Layout is looking great Matt...wonderful modelling. I might have to go to Quebec City next summer. Goldth

Is that pressure to work faster! Wink

Matt

No no...not at all Matt!!!

Re: Hedley Junction - sailormatlac - 10-15-2014

Too late Gene, I felt the pressure and started to scratchbuild a structure! Icon_lol

I started working on the first official structure of our new layout: Donohue's shipping warehouse. The building is based on the prototype but size is compressed to fit the space and suits a set of Walthers modular flat roofs I had on hands.

For the first time, I decided to use Plexiglass to make the building core. I've many people use it with success. Also, my previous 1.5 mm thick styrene buildings badly warped. MDF isn't an option too, it also warps depending moisture and temperature.

[Image: IMG_5342b_zpsdb129b19.jpg]

I first modelled the building in 3D with SketchUp using the raw material dimensions I would use. Helped me a lot to cut the parts at the exact size. I use my trusty table saw to cut the walls and roof, but I must admit is doesn't make very sharp edges. That's not too much a problem since I'm covering all the surfaces with textured styrene sheets.

[Image: IMG_5343b_zps961b7402.jpg]

Cutting Plexiglass with a table saw is extremely noisy!!! I mean, if you got ear protectors, wear them. At some point, the material makes a strange resonance and it rings in your ears. No fun and not good in the long term. I've learned my lesson. Also, be aware many plastic bits will fly away as the saw cut the material . WEAR your safety glasses, I'm not kidding.

[Image: IMG_5346b_zpsf016cfd8.jpg]

When all parts were cut, assembly took a few minute and was very straighforward. I kept the protective film where I planned to make windows and tried as best as I could to not let solvent cement run over these parts.

[Image: IMG_5345b_zpsd79220ac.jpg]

I also framed the rail car doors with 0.5 mm styrene. I'll continue tomorrow. So far, I'm pleased. The building isn't too heavy, quite strong and sturdy and not to prone to warp.

Matt

Re: Hedley Junction - Twist - 10-24-2014

Hi,
very nice warehouse.Never had the idea to build something from plexiglas...do you use evergreen textured sheets for the sides over the plexiglas?
I always use plastic strips on the edges to make things stronger but to build a core from plexiglass or something like that and glue the sheets on it is a thing I´ll do on my next scratchbuilding projekt,some buildings for my planer mill...

Cheers,Chris

Re: Hedley Junction - sailormatlac - 10-24-2014

Twist Wrote:Hi,
very nice warehouse.Never had the idea to build something from plexiglas...do you use evergreen textured sheets for the sides over the plexiglas?
I always use plastic strips on the edges to make things stronger but to build a core from plexiglass or something like that and glue the sheets on it is a thing I´ll do on my next scratchbuilding projekt,some buildings for my planer mill...

Cheers,Chris

Yes, it was something similar to Evergreen but from a german source because they had clear corrugated sheets.

I built many structure like you did, but found they warped over time. I've been building stronger cores since last week and no more worries.

The warehouse is almost completed, but I feel the oil wash weathering was not a success... I'll have to fix that this evening.

Matt

Re: Hedley Junction - sailormatlac - 10-24-2014

The building before painting:

[Image: IMG_5348b_zps0f36a917.jpg]

Here's the painted warehouse:

[Image: IMG_5356b_zps09bbd1e7.jpg]

The weathered version:

[Image: IMG_5370b_zps4496224b.jpg]

I only need to add the weathered transluscent corrugated material over the window and add small details like a photo-etched roof ladder and light fixtures over door. I'll also model partially the warehouse railcar's door just like the prototype.

More picture and explanation on the blog.

Matt