SP&S Shelf Layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: SP&S Shelf Layout (/showthread.php?tid=2883)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - Loblolly Logger - 02-25-2011

Good to see you're back in business, Greg! Nice looking space - looking forward to watching the new SP&S come to life! Thumbsup

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - MrBill - 02-26-2011

Great to see the new pics of all that open and nicely finished space ready to go Greg. Keep em coming. Plan looks good too. Those crossovers will look great using your turnout techniques.

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 02-27-2011

Thanks guys fro the words of encouragment....

I was able to get all the lumber cut today and will be assembling the peices over the next couple of weeks. Here is a photo of the first to pieces in place...

[Image: Bend+1.JPG]

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - ocalicreek - 02-28-2011

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Here is the plan as it stands. I will post an explination and some of the operating stuff later.

[Image: Bend+Plan.jpg]

I will be having a lot more backdrop and will try and take pictures this time Misngth

Greg,

I know you said you'd 'splain later about the operating stuff, but I went back to the drawing to locate the new benchwork and noticed something on the plan I wanted to ask about so I figured I'd better before I forget! Why so many crossovers in that section on the left side of the plan? Seems like the uppermost crossover is redundant....but there's probably a good reason for it. So what is it? Icon_lol

Galen

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 03-01-2011

Galen and others,

The two sets of crossovers are on an industry track. From what I have gathered there are two oil distributors, one natural gas and possibly a redi-mix plant. The reason for the crossovers is that in order to get to one customer you don't have to move all the cars from the other customer. I am still researching exactly what cars and what places actually took cars in the time that I am modeling, but that is half the fun.

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - cthart - 03-01-2011

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Galen and others,

The two sets of crossovers are on an industry track. From what I have gathered there are two oil distributors, one natural gas and possibly a redi-mix plant. The reason for the crossovers is that in order to get to one customer you don't have to move all the cars from the other customer. I am still researching exactly what cars and what places actually took cars in the time that I am modeling, but that is half the fun.

So this track arrangement is prototypical?

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 03-01-2011

Yeah it is based on the prototype here are the station plats I am utilizing to base my plan from.

[Image: Plat013658.GIF]

[Image: Plat013657.GIF]

[Image: Plat013666.GIF]

As with most model railroading I have had to omit some tracks and compress everything to fit...they also do not connect back together.

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - P5se Camelback - 03-03-2011

Hey! Greg! As I sit here at 03:51, having just awaken from a 5 1/2hr "just-kinda-dozed-off" snooze sitting here on the loveseat, found the laptop still on my lap, still on this thread (although "timed-out" eons ago) and it hit me ...

... he IS going to include that Lumber Company with the well-stocked retail showroom ... isn't he? I need a shovel!

You are an adventurous fella to tear out and start over as you have done. You had considerable thought and labor in what you had. Move prep or not, it was still a major deal!

The current progress is steady ... that's good.

But don't let the nattering nabobs' nagging get to you ... there is something to be said for "continuous running!" The layout at my club is what you might call ... "substantial ... good-sized ... rather big, actually!" But by throwing a couple of judiciously placed turnouts the super-long run from LA to Denver is separated into something we call "Display" running mode. It amounts at that point to two layouts, an upper and a lower, that are gigantic loops for continuous running (for open houses and shows ans time when the layout is ... on Display.) A single trip around the "loop" (at scale speeds) take the better part of about fory minutes! There's nothing wrong with that!

Listen, ISL's are a gret model railroad layout concept, don't get me wrong! I've actually been considering not tackling something as large as I had originally planned for this house and doing a decent-sized ISL instead. I must have a few more discussions with my alter ego (when we can find the time to pencil in a meeting time together.) 357

In the meantime, since I had no continous running capability, but wished to "run-in" my newly rebuilt/re-cased/freshly gear-lubed OMI Reading GP39-2 chassis prior to loading it up with a Tsunami decoder and a RailMaster baffled Bass Reflex speaker , I had to get a set of Bachrus® saddles so I could start the thing running and just let it go for half an hour!
[Image: ContinuousRunningCabpablilities.jpg]

The set-up works great, but it would have been much easier (and less expensive) to just set the thing on the rails in motion on a continuous running cabable "family layout" and let 'er rip for a while!

I must admit, it's a conversation starter as it sits on my living room cocktail table! Big Grin Icon_lol

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 03-04-2011

So with a little research here are the industries I will be modeling on the layout:

Central Oregon Petroleum CO.
Receives Petroleum products in tank cars

Shell Oil
Receives petroleum products in tank cars

Suburban Gas
Receives propane in tank cars

Bend Red-Mix
Receives cement in covered hoppers

Brooks-Willamette Corporation
Ships partical board in boxcars, and bulkhead flats

Brooks Scanlon
Ships Finished lumber in Boxcars and flat cars
Ships Woodchips in Woodchip cars

Miller Lumber
Receives hardware supllies in Boxcars

I have one more warehouse that has rail access but I am not sure what it is/was...I may make it one of the Grocery or Beer distributors in Bend

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 03-06-2011

Well I got the basic benchwork up and am ready to hang the backdrop...

[Image: Bend+7.JPG]

[Image: Bend+5.JPG]

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - Gary S - 03-06-2011

Thanks for all the construction photos, Greg. And the maps are cool too. I bet it was fun designing your track plan based on the real thing.

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 03-13-2011

Yeah more construction photos....

[Image: Bend+8.JPG]

[Image: Bend+12.JPG]

[Image: Bend+13.JPG]

Better then nothing 35 35

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - ocalicreek - 03-13-2011

Super! What sort of room lighting do you have? It doesn't appear to be much...will you be adding more?

This has been my own dilemma, and while I have a solution that should work, I have yet to implement it.

Galen

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 03-14-2011

Galen,

Right now I have a single 4 bulb Flourescent fixture in the middle of the room. Not sure if you have noticed but I have about a half dozen lights around the room at each work station for proper lighting. As a workshop this has been fine as I only need the appropriate light on for the work I am doing at the time and keeps me from having to have a bunch of random lights on around the room.

For the layout lighting I had been purchasing the 24" flourescent fixtures that can be connected using conduit but I think I am going to mount those below the layout and above my workbench for extra lighting.

I think the easiest thing to do will be to purchase the track lighting system sold at a variety of big box hardware stores which have a variety of attachments and only need some screws to hold them in place. They also have a setup that they plug right into the wall and using a lamp cord switch can be turned on and off. Although this would require going around the layout flipping on switches I figure I will have them all on before anyone comes to visit anyway. Also in the event of a move I just unscrew the tracks and take it with me to the next place. The entire design of the layout, less the backdrop, is to be moveable. At a bare minimum the major scences and structures will be able to be saved for the next rendition. I have found modeling one common theme will allow me to continue to reuse mnay of the components at the next location.

I hope this has been some sort of help...

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - ocalicreek - 03-15-2011

Quote:The entire design of the layout, less the backdrop, is to be moveable. At a bare minimum the major scences and structures will be able to be saved for the next rendition. I have found modeling one common theme will allow me to continue to reuse mnay of the components at the next location.

Ditto. I hope we don't need to move for several years as I am very happy in my present parish and current house. For me the track shelving system would be reusable, and perhaps a section or two of the current layout (just imagining there, since only one part of the first phase is under construction) but I'm not sure how much lumber from the benchwork would be re-used. Naturally the turnout machines & controls, but I might need new control tubing if it develops a permanent bend based on its current configuration.

The backdrop will be applied over top of the shelving uprights so it can be removed in large segments. I need to remember to take pictures of the screw locations as it goes up so that I can remove it when that day comes. They'll be hidden by spackle and paint shortly after the backdrop goes up! Yours looks terrific, btw. The gentle curve around the exhaust is a neat touch.

I just ordered custom decals for the Ocali Creek Railway today. It's not a huge financial investment, but I imagine the time spent custom painting and decaling 50 pieces of equipment including rolling stock and locomotives will be an investment in time and money, so that's my theme for the next few years at least!

Galen