GEC's Layout Progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: GEC's Layout Progress (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 07-12-2010

no pictures for now, but my Conrail GP15-1 just arrived, sound and everything included. unfortuneately, it came beaten up in the package (got it from Factory Direct Trains). the roof was pushed into the body shell. I think this might have been a problem at Athearn, but whatever. The sides appeared to be alittle bowed out, but they seem to have straightened alittle, and its really not to noticeable (and i'm not just justifying it to myself). The only thing i worry about is that it sounds very quiet (even at max volume, my Atlas GP40-2 can overpower it, and its not even at it's top volume), and the speaker is right under where the roof piece is. i haven't been able to remove the shell, so i can't get a look in there.

I might try to return it, but we'll see.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Gary S - 07-12-2010

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:the roof was pushed into the body shell.

That sounds pretty bad!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - nachoman - 07-12-2010

Anything that comes new out of the package and is damaged should be returned, imo.

You guys are right, though fortuneately, it looks fine now that i got it apart . there is no real damage, and other than the hood sides being alittle kinked (i stress how very little and unoticeable this is, and that it can be fixed with styrene reinforcement), its all in good shape. I can alter the speaker enclosure to improve the sound.

In other news, powered MP54 cars are coming next year. This sucks for my other MP54 kits, because it means i probably won't finish them, except maybe the F&C kits (they're nice). cool stuff! <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.con-cor.com/HO-Powered-mP54.html">http://www.con-cor.com/HO-Powered-mP54.html</a><!-- m -->

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - P5se Camelback - 07-12-2010

G.E.C. ...

Pennsy mP54 MU Coach pair on EBay, 18+ hours left, three bidders, currently at $152.50 ... a pretty good deal, it would seem ...

P5se Camelback Wrote:G.E.C. ...

on EBay, 18+ hours left, three bidders, currently at $152.50 ... a pretty good deal, it would seem ...

Yeah, but i don't have the money to spare. besides, concor will have ones that i'm sure work better and require less work for less money. i'll wait, lol.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - ac_catenary - 07-13-2010

GEC.. Heres the mother load of real PRR catenary detail drawings enjoy!!! Popcornbeer
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://prr.railfan.net/ElectricTraction.html">http://prr.railfan.net/ElectricTraction.html</a><!-- m -->

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 07-14-2010

ac_catenary Wrote:GEC.. Heres the mother load of real PRR catenary detail drawings enjoy!!! Popcornbeer
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://prr.railfan.net/ElectricTraction.html">http://prr.railfan.net/ElectricTraction.html</a><!-- m -->

Well sir, i do believe you've blown my mind! I'm not even sure what to do with that information, or how to interpret some of it. I'll definitely have to save these and/or print them out. I REALLY need to get back to building the catenary, i keep putting it off.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 07-19-2010

well, i got some new stuff-

1.) Amtrak GG1 #917 by BLI
2.) Amtrak 1700 series baggage car Phase IV by Walthers
3.) Amtrak Viewliner Sleeper Phase IV by Walthers
4.) various spare detail parts by Cannon and Detail Associates

Then i got some junk

1.) Island Model Works (IMW) Comet I coach (bubble dammage)
2.) two IMW Comet V cab cars (bubble damage)
3.) Athearn NJ transit P40DC shell (shell abrations)
4.) IHC GG1 shell (silver)

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 07-25-2010

Today is a day of picture madness

First up, exciting news for my ALP-46 project. This locomotive has been sitting in shell form on my shelf for nearly two years, and now it finally has a power frame taken from a Roco Class 101 electric. The ALP46 is actually an American variant of the german Class 101, so this frame works perfectly. While it does feature traction tires, It runs as smoothly as any Atlas, Kato or Genesis unit and it runs FAST. I'm banking on its heavy weight and great traction allowing it to pull the long commuter trains, like clockers with double decker consists. I have to figure a way to mount the frame permanently, but for now, it slips on tightly like a glove, which is awesome. The paint looks off, but when i dullcote it, it will look flat again. I'm going to fully detail the shell with grab irons, horns, radio antennas, windshield wipers, MU hoses and other details. Right now, all this engine needs is some light touch up (from being bumped on the shelf) and a sealing coat of dull paint beforei add the windows and continue to detail it. I'll likely purchase a decoder for it as well. If i'm lucky, it should be up and rolling for my club's open house in November.

ALP-46 #4628 was when i built the model, the last new electric locomotive in North America. NJ transit has since ordered more ALP-46A electric locomotives, picking up a #4629 and up. these are apparently modified in some way (reminiscent of the E44 and E44A), but they look the same outwardly.

[Image: 72510alp46002.jpg]

I also added a signal tranmission arm to my current Catenary bridges. I've also begun constructing another set of bridges, which will allow me to hang the wire in the areas photoed. all the details of this can be found in my "how to electrify a railroad" thread

[Image: 72510alp46005.jpg]

Conrail GP15-1 #1645 idles in an industrial park. It is sound equipped and gorgeously detailed

[Image: 72110gg1andjunk016.jpg]

Amtrak 917 makes a light engine move past. It is also sound equipped.

[Image: 72110gg1andjunk018.jpg]

Here are the brand new 1700 series baggage car and viewliner sleeper

[Image: july2010projects002.jpg]

[Image: july2010projects001.jpg]

I hope to build an ACES train at some point, and so i lucked out wwhen i was given a half finished NJ transit P40DC shell. while it looks rough, it appears this shell at one time had some gouges in it that were filled in with modeler's putty. A couple passes with fine grit wet sandpaper has just about resulved any imperfections in the smooth side of the diesel shell. I'll attempt to repaint this section, and it if works well, I DO have the spare parts to complete it. Island model works claimes to have the Decals for this engine, as well as the ACES decals (and they do offer the bilevel cars).

The ACES train is special because it features a diesel engine on one end (ahand me down Amtrak P40DC in NJT's new paint style), and an ALP-44 electric locomotive (infact, ALP44 #4405, my model, was the first to test this train and still runs with it). this allows it to run nonstop up and down the Northeast corridor, using the electric to power the train under wire, and the diesel to run between the corridor and Atlantic City. the electric locomotive acts as a cab-control car while the diesel pushes the train to atlantic city. Electrics are appearing in odd places these days!

[Image: july2010projects005.jpg]

my Metroliner cab car is in the works. It looks a little rough here, but that is because it is in the midst of the kitbash. Right now, the front end needs to be modified to fit the new end door in between the diaphragm. When that is done, i should be able to move on from there.

[Image: 72110gg1andjunk003.jpg]

Speaking of Metroliners, since i model a more 1976-83 time period, i've been working on devising a way to get these old bachmann pieces up to par with today's model equipment. So far, about half of them will be repainted and retrofitted with Stemman style pantographs. I may aquire a few more in the future and try to modify them into the "Capitaliner" version, with the rooftop equipment. When i find the appropriate decals, at least some of these will get Penn Central paint. A few of them will also be kitbashed into the Cafe cars, (the models are all coaches). My final plan is to put black beetle or NWSL power trucks into the dummy frames and power every pair of them.

[Image: 72110gg1andjunk011.jpg]

I also obtained several Island Model Works commuter cars (the ALP46 above and the PL42AC diesel below are also IMW products). these include a pair of Comet V cab cars, NJ transit's newest Single level coaches by bombardier, meant to work the the PL42AC (though rumor has it the system is very glitchy in reality). the models themselves are from IMW's discount reject bin, which is how i got them for free from a friend who did not want to repair them. they have many bubbles, and one appears to have glue of some kind on it. However, they aren't so far gone that i can't save at least one.

[Image: july2010projects004.jpg]

I also got a Comet 1 coach. the Comet Is are the original purpose designed push pull cars, going into service with the U34CH locomotives sometime in the early 70s. While other railroads had Cab-control cars on some of their trains before the Pullman Standard Comet 1, they were often railroad kitbashes. this model also has some bubbles in it but is actually in fairly good shape, so i'll probably paint it up and use it as soon as i can get the frame and wheels for it.

[Image: july2010projects003.jpg]

Finally, we have my PL42AC diesel. these are NJ transit's newest diesels, and are claimed to be "the safest passenger diesel in north america". while that can be said to be debatable, the model i own may be close to an early retirement. there were many flaws in the shell (most of which i had to fix with extreme surgery). now, Island Model Works offers a huge discount for its new improved shell (which is definitely more accurate), so i may end up buying and building a new PL42AC to put over this frame. I don't mind, as it will give me an oppertunity to do a better paint job. the discount makes the new shell cheap, so i say its worth it.

[Image: july2010projects006.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Herc Driver - 07-25-2010

WOW! That's some good looking equipment. My compliments on the collection.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 07-27-2010

I just ended up with more equipment, but this is all good stuff!

one Lehigh Valley RS2 (athearn RTR)
A wonderbread/hostess cakes power-flo hopper

2 SEPTA coaches
1 SEPTA cab

[Image: 72710stufffrommikefoley.jpg]

[Image: 72710stufffrommikefoley.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 07-28-2010

alright, this should be the last new thing aquired-

a 50 foot Amtrak baggage car kit, meant to be converted to a Head End Power care to go with the Amtrak GG1. after this, i don't think i can afford to pick anything else up, even at a discount!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 08-31-2010

Well, nothing has gotten done. I had some time, but for the past few days i've been sick for no apparent reason. its a head ache and a stomach ache, not so harsh that it grounds me in bed, but i can't concentrate long enough to stick to a project (and the last thing i want to do is make a mistake just because i tried to fight past a 100 degree fever).

Once again, i've been considering track plan ideas for an addition, but i'll see how they go. I think what i might do, is get a pair of 4x8s (or maybe a 4x8 and a 5x9), and make one into a "hexagon" but cutting it up, and cutting the other board to make "wings". One wing will connect to my layout at the intended interchange track, but then the second "hexagon" can feature additional layout space (though on the other hand, i'd hate to once again limit myself in such a cramped space, hence the 5x9 approach), and if i want to be really grand about it, i might be able to squeeze an under layout staging set up.

All these ideas have flown through my fever-crippled brain, so i'm sure when i'm sane again, i'll come back to reality, but who knows.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Gary S - 08-31-2010

Get well soon!