GEC's Layout Progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: GEC's Layout Progress (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Amtrak X995 - 01-08-2012

hi from germany...

c`mon, we`re working about 10 years at our NEC project, have as you lot`s of material built, in parts as projects laying in boxes on storage.
But, kkep on thing in your mind....i guess, us catenary on layouts are in the world not more than 20 times built, so it`s a special theme, only a few people will work on it, it`s a special kind you work on.

So take a breath, watch your favourite RR in front of your door on your house (we had to travel thousands of miles), and you will got inspirations...

for inspirations...

[Image: 106320110107mo.jpg]

[Image: 105220110107m.jpg]

[Image: rodgau0034mo.jpg]

here one half of our layout, here more parts without catenary...

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 01-09-2012

Well, I got my layout totally clear so that the Gauge car wouldn't have to share a layout with tools and junk. All of that went pretty well, though right before I left, i tinkered with my Silverliner III MUs, to get them working right. No sooner do I fix the problem I had with the cars, then I dropped one by accident, and the whole face of the car broke off.

Luckily, I managed to reattach it relatively seamlessly, but it will need a new coat of paint. It appears that when it fell, the frame actually pushed out (as opposed to the floor pushing the shell in), so the outside surface of the body shell shows no damage, other than a hairline that is probably only visible because of the paint knocked off it.

Other than that, things are going smooth, the Gauge car is parked behind my GG1 ready for next weekends show.

As crappy as breaking one of my out of production rare commuter cars is, I actually feel better that I did just get down there and tinker. Seeing as I repaired it pretty easily, I'm thinking it will be OK.

I did get today off as well, which was unexpected. Here is the damage-

[Image: p1091595.jpg]

[Image: p1091596.jpg]

[Image: p1091597.jpg]

Prior to the floor incident! (before pic). The holes are for ladders, grab irons, and windshield wipers.

[Image: p1091575.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 01-10-2012

Why repaint the whole thing? Just touch it up with a brush. It looks like it's a "stand off" model, no reason to try to make things perfect.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 01-10-2012

jwb Wrote:Why repaint the whole thing? Just touch it up with a brush. It looks like it's a "stand off" model, no reason to try to make things perfect.

Unfortunately, This sort of paint isn't the "paintbrush kind". Its a very sensitive type of chrome metallic paint. You actually can't brush it, its so thin that it looks like cloudy sparkly laquer. its meant for an airbrush

It actually requires a gloss black base coat, but I'm thinking the patches of exposed plastic will be OK (the model came with someone's poor attempt at a silver paint job, which I think is Semi- responsible for the trouble as far as paint chipping).

I'm just going to spray the Chrome directly onto it, but I might as well hit the whole end. Besides, some parts on the body can probably use some touch up.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 03-05-2012

I can see now that there is a clear and obvious need for either a plexiglass wall, or some sort of extension around the sides of my layout!

I just finished relaying the last bits of track on the outside oval of the layout. The project went relatively seemlessly until the very end, where the last piece of flextrack was not only not cut properly, but I had forotten to put the sliding rail on the "inside" of the curve. When put together the curves at the 90 degree mark, it slid the outside rail away a little near the small passenger station and silos.

I did not see this, and everything looked good to me, so I ran my GG1 through the trackage to check. I ran it through at a moderate pace, and then I heard it derail as it was leaving the "new" section, and i watched it roll right off the table!!! Eek Wallbang Sad

LUCKY FOR ME

I have a fast arm, because I caught that GG1 by it's tail end in mid air. Icon_lol :mrgreen: Thumbsup

There is no chance that heavy diecast metal engine was gonna hit the concrete and not be damaged. Sufice to say, I was pacing all my engines running on the outer oval for the rest of the test runs. I've had trains fall off the side before, but usually in unusual incdents, never just from derailing. I suppose it would be possible to add a 1x6 around the edges of the layout, which would increase room for scenery and act as a buffer zone. Its porbably not a bad idea since my catenary towers also tend to get knocked from time to time.

gonna have to look into it!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - faraway - 03-05-2012

I added for the same reason a think plastic strip at the front edge of my layout. The plastic is quite thin 0,04" and flexible. But that is good enough to protect the rolling stock and catch it in case of derailment.

[Image: IMG_1221.jpg?t=1328971916]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Tyson Rayles - 03-05-2012

That strip will probably save you a lot of grief and some $$$$ over time.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 04-12-2012

Future NJ DOT #4248

[Image: P1311785.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 04-13-2012

Glad to see you posting and working on stuff again!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 04-13-2012

I know, its been a long time. I'm also stil lworking on making that cast of that Jersey Arrow. There is some dissention about which material would make the best cast, and i want to do it right the first time.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 04-22-2012

I've managed to acquire an "Empire Builder" 60-seat AC& F coach. NJ DOT acquired some of these in the early 70s to improve service on the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ) passenger trains New York & Long Branch. They were rebuilt to carry ~ 108 passengers, and became affecctionately known as "Jersey Builder" consists. These ran like this well into Conrail, though by the 80s most hade been repainted into completely NJ DOT or NJ transit paint schemes. They were retired in the late 80s as more Comet equipment became available.

Apparently, Walthers no longer produces these, which makes me do a face-palm.

I had been aware of the "Jersey builder" sets, but these usually used Great Northern's old 48-seat coaches (as produced currently by Brass Car Sides), and I have almost never seen the car in question on a train. I saw only two pictures, one was the coach supposedly in Elizabethport NJ undergoing rebuilding, and another that was in the mid-80s with the car in NJ Transit paint (Silver with the black band).

I have yet to find one of these coaches in a train in it's "original" paint with a CNJ or NJ DOT patch. Still, it couldn't hurt.

These trains usually ran in 6-7 car consists (in many incidents longer or shorter), with GP40Ps pulling. However, these coaches woud look just as at home behind a GG1 or an E8A set. That GP40P will be a locomtive project for the future, since other than super expensive brass, none currently exist for purchase.

Walthers pic of the car (camera's charging now)

[Image: 09320000009031.gif]

Prototype 60-seat car at Elizabethport

[Image: bn-co1118akg.jpg]

[Image: njt-co5328akg.jpg]

48-seat coach from Brass Car Sides

[Image: 48086399925426.gif]

Prototype consist from The Blue Comet , an awesome website. this consist is before Conrail, but its not far away
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thebluecomet.com/northeastlines.html">http://www.thebluecomet.com/northeastlines.html</a><!-- m -->

[Image: nylb3673essay.jpg]

Jersey Builder in 1979. Note the obeservation car, and some other ATSF, CNJ, GN, PC, (And UP?) cars in the consist. many cars also appeared in the Green and White of Burlington Northern, Great Northern's successor.

[Image: njt4105erc.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 04-23-2012

I finally managed to somewhat understand XtrackCAD, which i still consider a HUGE pain in the butt, but I do like the ability to place cars and locomotives on the tracks. It does allow one to really get a feel for just how much space is really on a track plan.

Its also the only program that has ever been able to accurately make my layout, all though some pieces aren't perfect.

[Image: Funwithxtrakcad.png]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 05-08-2012

The previously mentioned soon-to-be Jersey builder car.

[Image: P5010006.jpg]

A new Arrow III is imminent, and there is a good chance some Arrow II kits might be made by the same company (IHP), ensuring all my Arrows are consistent. The other option would be IMW, but their Arrow II might not match readily with the IHP Arrow III Kits.

One thing at a time though!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 06-03-2012

Well, there are some progress and set backs to report.

Another Vertical Express

Unfortuneately, as painfaul as it is to admit, I had held off on putting up the plastic strip, and another locomotive fell, this time my BLI CSX AC6000CW. Fortuneately, It can be repaired. The locomotive still runs, and the body shell, frame, and mechanism are all intact. It merely needs a new walkway part, and Broadway Limited has been helpful. That is the last straw though.

Money is tight right now, but I HAVE to do something about the edges of the layout. Part of the problem is that when I rebuilt the crossovers on my layout, the diverging rail causes derailed equipment to be pushed towards the edge. This has happened a few times, but in most cases the train doesn't keep sliding off the layout like the CSX unit did. Bottom line, the problem (broken locomotive and unguarded edges) will be fixed shortly.

Routine Maitenance

I've also continued reworking and repairing other models. This has consisted of repairing decals, replacing coupler springs, attaching small details that tend to come off over time, etc. In particular, I corrected some flaws with some of my Conrail locomotives while I was at it. Nothing to exciting, though the small things appear to make a difference!

New Arrow III has arrived!!!!!!!

I did just recieve a new Arrow III EMU. I'm very excited about it, its heavy and a good runner. I suspect it could pull a couple of the MU cars all by itself without any need for help of additional powered units. The model even came with a Stemman pantograph, something that has been plaguing me. The design is interesting, and i'm probably going to shamelessly copy some of the construction methods (the creator of the model seemed to encourage this though). I could easily construct these pantographs if i get a hold of a metal photo etching kit. the kit also lacked grab irons and lights, but this is not a huge issue.

The only dissappointing thing is that it appears that they put a Silverliner IV EMU frame underneath. The Silverliner IV and Arrow III VERY similar (both were produced around the same time by GE/AVCO and have identical stylying, though different components). IHP, the maker of the model, produces both of these types. Its not hard to understand how they might have been swapped accidentally, though part of me fears that it was just assumed these frames were the same.

It would not be beyond my modeling skills to fix the diffrences in the frame (infact, I have a compatible spare dummy frame I can power and use if the worst case scenario occurs). However, this was an expensive model that my girlfriend picked up for me. Its an RTR model, I shouldn't have to do any more work on it for the cost.

That said, the model is otherwise satisfying to me. Its fast, and appears to have some power to it. Speed has been a big problem, since most of the drives suitable for MU car use are either under-powered, or do not develop "prototype" speeds (such is the case for the Bachmann Metroliner remotoring projects i was planning on).

Hopefully, there will be a proper frame available to me to swap out for the one I have. If not, i'll have to figure out a way to remove the details without damaging their appearance. Using a razor saw won't work, since it will remove the "upper" layer of details that are visible from the side. My current plan is to use a drill press to carefully drill holes "above" the parts to be removed. This area would be behind the side-walls of the MU shell and would be unnoticeable. once the part is removed, i can sand and fill any rough areas.

High-level station conversion

I've been thinking of converting some of my stations to high-level. While the "corner" station won't work well for this, the other "straight" station can. The main reason for this is that many of my commuter cars have high-level doors on them, and it looks neat to have a high-level platform. The problem is raising the platform up realistically, but that isn't such a tricky issue that i couldn't figure it out one of these nights.

[Image: P5300725.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 06-04-2012

European platforms tend to be higher-level, at least in the cities, and you could do something like bash the Brawa platform edges onto the Walthers platforms <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/186-2869">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/186-2869</a><!-- m -->