Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... (/showthread.php?tid=495)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - MountainMan - 04-30-2016

Obviously, those buildings with the "mortar" have been attacked by the giant Marshmallow Monster from Ghost Busters.

Terrific work! Thumbsup

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - Schraddel - 05-01-2016

Great work :!:
Applause Thumbsup Worship

Lutz

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - doctorwayne - 05-13-2016

Thanks for your kind comments, guys.

I've not had much time lately for working on the layout, but have made a bit of progress on Tuckett's:

[Image: TUCKETTS%20TOBACCO.......%20003.jpg]

Wayne

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - e-paw - 05-13-2016

nice Thumbsup

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - cn nutbar - 05-14-2016

That's a great looking building Doc Thumbsup ---it's size is also a realistic indicator of what an important industry tobacco was back in the time era on your layout (30's)---today it would probably be converted into condominiums for seniors

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - Tyson Rayles - 05-15-2016

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - doctorwayne - 05-20-2016

A bit of progress on the large curtain wall factory, but not as I had hoped.

After a lot of tedious masking, I was finally able to paint the "concrete" structure of the large factory. I used a mixture of about 46% Floquil Grey Primer, 46% Depot Buff, and 8% of a previously-mixed orange, used on my home road reefers - mostly Floquil Reefer Orange and Trailer Train Yellow. I would have added Reefer White, but have none of that colour left in my supply of Floquil paint, so the "concrete" is a little darker than I would have preferred.

[Image: Factory........jpg]

After removing all of the masking tape, I used a stiff paintbrush to apply the drywall compound "mortar". This is easier than the "rag method", and allows for a lighter application:

[Image: CURTAIN%20WALL%20FACTORY..........%20006.jpg]

[Image: CURTAIN%20WALL%20FACTORY..........%20004.jpg]

I used an X-Acto #19 chisel blade to remove the majority of the excess mortar, then finished with a toothbrush and a wipe with a dry rag:

[Image: CURTAIN%20WALL%20FACTORY..........%20003.jpg]

[Image: CURTAIN%20WALL%20FACTORY..........%20005.jpg]

While it's not readily apparent in the last two photos above, the clean-up left the concrete with a distinctly greenish cast, more representative of newly-poured concrete than of material supposedly more than a couple of decades in place. And, equally distressing, is that the "bricks" have taken on a too-faded appearance. I'll have to hope that weathering will make things more acceptable, as this will be an expensive project to write off. Curse 35

Wayne

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - Charlie B - 05-21-2016

All of the soot and cinders from the steam locomotives will have that building covered in soot in no time, everything will be darker. Thumbsup
Charlie

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - doctorwayne - 06-06-2016

A bit of progress....

[Image: LAYOUT%20VIEWS...%20004.jpg]

[Image: LAYOUT%20VIEWS...%20005.jpg]

....still not sure if I like it, though.

Wayne

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - Charlie B - 06-06-2016

Wayne, I think it is great, but if you aren't quite happy with it, it could take a lot more weathering.
Charlie

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - Rscott417 - 06-06-2016

That's a great looking building Thumbsup

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - doctorwayne - 06-06-2016

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. Goldth

I actually wish it weren't quite so dirty, Charlie, but I'm not upset enough that I want to repaint it. Crazy Perhaps when I get some more industries in the area and some scenery, it'll fit in better.

Wayne

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - e-paw - 06-06-2016

I like it... don't change a thing as far as the weathering goes.

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - faraway - 06-06-2016

It is not "dirty" in the sense of weathering. That is just patina every older building collects in downtown and industrial areas. I like it!

Re: Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos... - JaBear - 06-09-2016

You've cheered me up no end Doc, here I thought that I was on my own for being far too critical on my own work. Eek
For what it's worth I think it looks good even though it is just sitting on plywood at present, especially the photo with the boxcars in the loading dock. Thumbsup
Cheers, the Bear.