The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 05-27-2016

I kept one of the microsoft guys on the phone for an hour the other day. told him I had 6 computers running and on line and that he should be able to tell me which one was bad. I finally said, Oh, I get it, the Microsoft one with windows, and he said yes...I said that's the one I took to the dump yesterday, these that are left are all Macs, I didn't quite understand the name he called me, something was lost in the translation. I know I could be modeling with this spare time, but screwing with telemarketers and scammers has become a hobby too, and the calls are getting fewer and fewer so maybe SOB is being put beside my number on the do not call list that they use to get the numbers. Cheers
Charlie

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-27-2016

Charlie B Wrote:I kept one of the microsoft guys on the phone for an hour the other day. told him I had 6 computers running and on line and that he should be able to tell me which one was bad. I finally said, Oh, I get it, the Microsoft one with windows, and he said yes...I said that's the one I took to the dump yesterday, these that are left are all Macs, I didn't quite understand the name he called me, something was lost in the translation. I know I could be modeling with this spare time, but screwing with telemarketers and scammers has become a hobby too, and the calls are getting fewer and fewer so maybe SOB is being put beside my number on the do not call list that they use to get the numbers. Cheers
Charlie

I don't think they have a "do not call list", any of them. I think the robo dialer just goes through a sequence and when someone answers, the call is transferred to a human, if you can call these people "human". I've told one of those "your credit card..." guys to take me off their list and he told me that since I swore at him, I would be on the list for life. It wouldn't make any difference, since they have no way of controlling that. I still get daily calls from "Rachel from cardholder services", and MS tech dept still calls as well regardless of what I said. I turn down a fully paid trip for two to the Bahamas every few weeks, and scads of opportunities to do surveys. I even got one of those "Grandpa" calls a few months ago and played her for a while, but she caught on and didn't call back. Sometimes they'll say, "Mr. Day?" and I'll say no, but I'll go get him, then just leave the phone lie there until they hang up, or I've said, "no, I'm not at my computer right now, but hang on and it'll take me a minute or two to get there......"

Do these people think that we are all that dumb that we don't see a scam? I guess there are enough that fall into the trap that makes it worth their while to continue. Curse

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 05-27-2016

I wonder why the FCC can't just get a bunch of phones and numbers, place them on the do not call list, and start prosecutions when they get a call. They pass all these laws to protect us, and they think the job is done, no need to enforce them. If you have never tried to report a caller you need to go to the FCC and see what is involved. If we are going to have to enforce the laws they pass we don't need the law, just give us the right to go get them. :mrgreen:
Charlie

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 05-27-2016

People here are getting threatening calls from either the Income Tax people or one of the utilities that they owe money and have to pay them off with in gift cards from, say, Home Depot. And some people have done it to avoid having their electricity cut off.

We have call display and an answering machine. Anything unidentifiable goes to the answerer and those that leave no message don't get called back (exceptions for certain family members). We've also turned off the ringer in the TV room; we sometimes hear a voice in the distance "you have reached...."

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-28-2016

Morning all. Sunny and 79 degrees. Rain headed this way by late tonight or tomorrow. Had a real busy week. Ended in helping Grady "do" the frontend of my pickup. He started celebrating the holiday a little early while working on my truck. Got a little too loaded before finishing.

We had a great event yesterday AM. Dedicated our Veterans Memorial. Most towns here do not have one.

Group photo of the Veterans present.
[Image: ry%3D400]

Memorial monument.
[Image: ry%3D400]

Have a safe and great holiday.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-28-2016

Greetings, gang.

The weekend is off to a rainy start. Right now it's 63 with an expected high in the mid 70s. Possibility of strong storms this afternoon.

Busy day yesterday. Grocery store early for essentials (milk, donuts, etc.). Then went for a bike ride and got the yard mowed. Today I need to get the trimming done and may run the trains later.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 05-28-2016

What are and what is on the five round signs in the foreground? Are they dedicated to the army, navy, air force, marines and coast guard or to WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam. Gulf?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-28-2016

Branches of service.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 05-29-2016

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 70 right now headed for sunny and 84.

Tried to do some yard work yesterday but every time I got a good start another shower would pop up. Finally gave up and goofed off for the rest of the day. Today I'll try to finish what I started yesterday. Also on tap for today is a bike ride. I'm going to put a beef rib in the crock pot for supper and make some potato salad for tomorrow.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-29-2016

Frank, a nice tribute that even some large cities tend to not do as well. I was just reading a news article about some memorials in three different state that were defaced. Somehow, people forget the ultimate sacrifice that others have made so that we all have our freedom. It's appalling, they should take these brats and put them in Afghanistan for a tour of duty, then see if they feel the same way when they get home.... Curse

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Sumpter250 - 05-29-2016

October 10, 1961 to February 28, 1983. U.S. Navy.
Officially transferred to the retired list, November 1, 1990.
Yes, Memorial day holds special meaning for me.
My day, to honor my fallen "comrades-at-arms", who weren't quite as lucky as I was, throughout the Viet Nam era.

To all those who have served, my eternal gratitude for putting your lives "on the line" for Freedom.

Pete Juengst
Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy Retired

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 05-29-2016

Afternoon all. Rainy and 77 degrees. Seems we are going to be tropical for a few days. Being lazy today.

Remembering Willie Farmer [Pig] who was born one month before me. We grew up on the farm together. In Vietnam. Flying in from a fire base to process home. Chopper shot down. Been to the Wall and touched his name.

Latest poll says 47% Americans think we should not have used the "bomb" to end WWII. Idiots and whimps. It saved many more lives than were killed.

Have a safe holiday.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 05-30-2016

MEMORIAL DAY Blue
We have been in the 80s with a few passing downpours lately.
We are staying home today cooking out of course. number 2 son and family will be here.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 05-30-2016

Memorial day, My dad was first loader on his gun crew of LST 830 in the Pacific     . When not manning the gun he was a machinist mate.     Remember all of these vets that are now passed, and especially remember those that gave their lives in order that all people all over the world could have their chance for freedom. Charlie

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 05-30-2016

Sumpter250 Wrote:October 10, 1961 to February 28, 1983. U.S. Navy.
Officially transferred to the retired list, November 1, 1990.
Yes, Memorial day holds special meaning for me.
My day, to honor my fallen "comrades-at-arms", who weren't quite as lucky as I was, throughout the Viet Nam era.

To all those who have served, my eternal gratitude for putting your lives "on the line" for Freedom.

Pete Juengst
Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy Retired

Yes, many of us were more fortunate than a lot of others, be it those that never returned home, or those that did but lost something in the process. Yes, I served, but the only risk I had was getting a bit sunburned on the flight line in Yuma, Arizona. Still, we were there to train those that would be risking everything, so we did have a purpose.

Every year I post this poem that my wife wrote and we included it in her book about her growing up and losing a brother in the Korean War. She still feels the lose, as we all do, even for those that we never knew. God bless them all, their families and friends alike. Worship