The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-05-2014

Greetings, gang.

Another soggy day in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. Right now it's 63 and raining. So far we have been blessed with about a half inch of rain with more on the way.

Had a quiet day yesterday with My Fair Lady. We spent the morning painting a spare room. In the afternoon I mowed the yard whilst she baked a cake. Late afternoon found us sitting on the patio with a frosty beverage and watching the train patrol slowly around the loop. Very relaxing.

On tap for today is more painting and whatever else we can dream up.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-05-2014

Good morning everyone, I hope your weekend is going well for you. Yesterday here was rather unusual, it didn't get to 100 degrees all day. No rain either, but it was a bit sticky. Another strange thing, the official weather for Phoenix shows just a trace of rain at Sky Harbor Airport on Thursday although they had to shut down for a while because of the blowing dust. So "officially", we are in our 124th day without rain. However, most other areas got over 1/4" of rain, and one TV station said we got 1.5" on Thursday here in Surprise (about 25 miles from the airport). I also have to say that the weather station for Surprise is a good 15 miles north of the center of town, so we saw rain at our house, but not as much as they say.

So much for the weather, but us old folk have little else to talk about except our aches and pains, and don't get me started on those because we'll be here all day if you do. Nope Icon_lol

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-05-2014

Good Morning Blue
We will have sun and a hi of 80 today
We spent yesterday afternoon at daughters house with SIL's family.
I stayed and watched fireworks till 11 pm. I like em but that was enough for me.
Our entire neighborhood has fireworks debris everywhere.
Another outing this afternoon, you can't do this kind of thing in the hateful winter.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Steamtrains - 07-05-2014

AF350 Wrote:I have the Model builders software and a couple of clever models dvd's with a bunch of printable card stock files "structures"

With Model builder you can custom design and print out an almost endless amount of unique buildings as everything is customizable even windows doors as well as wall material, you can make background buildings or full structures. You can even layer buildings as a backdrop scene and also can import your own details(signs etc.) Clever models has a series of dvd's with printable buildings.

I have not played around with either in awhile, I did print out a white castles building but have not assembled yet(need to make a frame to keep the cardstock from caving in).

Doing a bunch of Laundry for parents, mom is coming home from hospital this evening. May finish up or try to complete a few modeling projects sometime today.

AF...Do you have a link to the Model Builders cardstock buildings site..?? I get about a gillion hits when I Google it, but none that looks like what you describe...
Thanks for any aid you can provide... Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - shortliner - 07-05-2014

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/model-builder.html">http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/model-builder.html</a><!-- m --> I had a copy but gave it away as I never could get it to do what it was supposed to - trying to get it to print doors and windows where they were placed was a nightmare Wallbang

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-05-2014

Good morning. It's 81° with 56% humidity. It'll be sunny with a high of 88°.
[Image: condsunny-1.jpg]

This morning I went out and took a good look under the hood of the van. What I saw was that the fuel filter was very close to, almost touching the bottom radiator hose. The metal fuel line was making contact with the engine in several places and it runs very close to the top radiator hose. I used 12 gauge automotive wire to pull the filter away from the radiator hose and tied the other end to the vehicle frame. Did the same where the line was touching the engine and tied the wires off to the A/C brackets which are no longer being used anyway. Same for where it was next to the top radiator hose. I then wrapped several layers of aluminum foil around the fuel filter and every bit of the fuel line I could reach. For now the foil is taped in place. It'll get it's test in the next hot start situation.

Plans for today. I have none. Looks like another movie and computer games day.

[Image: P1010003-1.jpg]

[Image: P9120476.jpg]

[Image: P9120460.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 07-05-2014

shortliner Wrote:http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/model-builder.html I had a copy but gave it away as I never could get it to do what it was supposed to - trying to get it to print doors and windows where they were placed was a nightmare Wallbang

Yes it has a learning curve, I have version 1.7.31 , I can usually do a background building with no problem but once in awhile I have had trouble with windows and doors either not staying put or being out of scale (user error on the scale) with the rest of the building, I used to play with it but printed only a few things as My layout I have now is more of a tinplateish style(3-Rail O) but sometime down the road will do a small modular type layout in either S or O gauge with some decent scenery. Importing other graphics can be done and looks great once you learn how, I will have to look on some old floppies
and see If I can find the pic of the Masonic building/temple with a stain glass masonic symbol I found on the internet.

I have not installed it yet on my new computer. I will have to relearn the trick to anchoring down the door and window elements.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-05-2014

Good afternoon. It appears the work I did this morning isolating and insulating the fuel lines on the van was for naught. I went to town earlier to get gas. $27 @$3.529 comes to 7.650 gallons. That gives me about 3/4's of a tank. On a 24 gallon tank that's about eighteen gallons. I have to stretch that for the month. I still have some money but I don't want to use it unless I have to. I came home and went inside to do some work that took about an hour. Went out to see if I could start the van. No dice. It just cranks and cranks but won't start. I sprayed some starting fluid into the pcv hose so it would drain right into the base of the carb. It cranked over faster but still no boom. Got the charger on it now so I'll try again in a while.

This morning the disk drive I bought last Tuesday arrived. The entry on eBay said 'Tested and working'. I tested it and while the electronics were fantastic the mechanism was damaged and would take a disk only thirty percent of the time. I tried with several disks and got the same result. Fortunately I had another drive of this model in the closet that had fried electronics but a fantastic mechanism. It wasn't too hard to tear both down and combine the good parts into a 100% operational drive which I have in service now and have connected a Disk II drive to the daisy-chain port on the back of it. I sent the seller a message describing what I had to do. I think it may have been damaged in shipping and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 07-05-2014

We went to my great-niece's first birthday today. While there, her other grandfather said that his neighbour has trains in his basement. When he introduced us, he recognized me; he's one of the crew that did Action in Traction with Interurban (Chris). I went down and his year-old layout is in a similar state to mine.

Slightly frustrating day: the house is very close to the CPR tracks but we could hear trains but not see them.

Good evening. It's really nice here with 79° outside. There's 72% humidity so it's right over the edge on wetness. No rain tonight, in fact not a mention of rain until Monday.

Well other than going into town for gas I didn't go anywhere today. This morning I worked on the van. I moved the fuel filter away from the lower radiator hose then wrapped it in a few layers of aluminum foil. The metal fuel line was touching the engine in several places so I moved it away and wrapped several layers of the foil around every bit of the line that I could reach. However this all proved pointless as it didn't prevent a vapor lock and fuel boil-off. A friend on another forum pointed me to a site that described exactly the problem I'm having and how folks there overcame it. So far what I've read is very interesting. Seems this problem is very prevalent to Mopar vehicles of the general era mine is from. This afternoon I tried the engine after returning from town and it was no dice. After a while I shot a bunch of carburetor cleaner down the carburetor until the boiling sounds ceased then floored it and cranked the engine. There was a series of pops, a clatter, a boom then a deafening roar as the engine fired to life. That boom shook my teeth and made my eyes and ears hurt. There was also a big grayish-black (descried by a neighbor) cloud of smoke shooting from the tailpipes. Must've been all that carburetor cleaner burning off. My ears were ringing for a while after that. My neighbor across the road said his windows rattled. Well, except for a blown out glass pack it's pretty much straight pipes tipped with echo chambers. I hope I can find a good cheap way to stop this vapor locking. The van isn't much as vehicles go but it's all I have. No heat, no a/c, no radio, no vent blower, door seals and windows are drafty as an old castle. It's just very basic transportation.

In other news I got an Apple A9M0107 Platinum disk drive that had good electronics but bad mechanics. I just happened to have one of the same model that had good mechanics and fried electronics. I tore them both down then used the good pieces from each to build one that works 100%. I keep this up I may be able to cure a rainy day! I have the drive connected to my //e now and a Mitac Disk II clone drive is plugged into the A9M0107's daisy-chain port. They work great together. Some may think that combination shouldn't work. If so they don't know me very well.

It's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P9120461.jpg]

[Image: P9120465.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6609.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-06-2014

Good morning. It's 72° with 87% humidity. Sunny with a high of 92°.
[Image: cond026.gif]

Well, as usual it seems, no plans for today. My birthday is tomorrow and I have no idea whatsoever what I'll be doing outside of being a year older. Yippee. Oh well. I have the //e on and Star Fleet 1 is booted up. Time to go and ruin the Krellan and Zaldron's dreams of galactic conquest.

[Image: P9110410.jpg]

[Image: P9100380.jpg]

[Image: Image1-1.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-06-2014

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and a hi in the 80s today.
Another successful family gathering yesterday. It's been a busy week.
Today we rest.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Steamtrains - 07-06-2014

Jeff...That's a great backdrop in the last pic...Where did you get it..??

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-06-2014

Steamtrains Wrote:Jeff...That's a great backdrop in the last pic...Where did you get it..??
I found that on a now defunct site. I copied it then printed it out on regular 8.5x11 paper, glued it all together, cut off the excess then glued it to the backdrop. It looks better than it was. It was somewhat grainy but looked OK from a distance.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-06-2014

Morning LL. Lazy day. Cooler than last week but humidity slipping up. Hot this coming week. Have a good one.