The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=8627)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-09-2019

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 70 outside my window this morning with a chance for rain. High is supposed to be in the low 80s.

Quiet day yesterday. Did some house cleaning prior to invasion by niece and company. More of that today. Also need to get the yard in shape. No paper again this morning. Getting tired of this.

Don - have your tried Jiffy Lube or similar?

Frank - world's best breakfast.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-09-2019

Hello Blue
Some really nice weather, finally. We sat out last night till dusk. 80s for today.
We had a thin layer of overcast yesterday, not really noticeable, it was smoke from a forest fire in Canada.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-10-2019

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 69 with a guesstimated high around 80 and breezy with winds up to about 30 mph. Got about a half inch of rain in about 20 minutes yesterday morning.

Got some house cleaning done yesterday. Also tried to do some outside work. After about 15 minutes I was drenched in sweat. Very humid. Today will see more cleaning and maybe a bike ride before it gets too windy. Invasion by niece and family in less than 36 hours. Lots to do.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-10-2019

Good morning all. Yet another very early day for us. I guess old folk get to bed early and get up early, but we've been doing this for most of our 59 years together. Yup, we hit the big 59 last month. I went to a new doctor last week and he asked how long I've been married, I told him and he says, "to the same woman?????".... Why not, is it out of style to be together with the same partner for a long time?

Tom, went to the local Jiffy Lub a few years ago and vowed never to go back. There's a good reason why they only get two stars on Yelp. Meineke is across the street from them, but they're sitting on two and a half stars with lots of complaints. Pep boys took over a local auto shop chain that I used to go to and Firestone took over another, so I'm going to check them out today, I think they take appointments. One problem is that our van takes full synthetic at about three or four times the price of a regular oil change. Walmart charges $50, well below what others charge. One thing I found out, you would think "full synthetic oil" was somehow man-made, but it's not. They just take regular oil and fool around with it's composition and add a few things, but it's still basically oil from the ground. Just that by using it, you can go 7,000 to 10,000 miles between changes so the higher price is justified.

One thing I wonder about is that how do you know what they're actually putting in your car Waiting ... You really have to trust your service shop....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 07-10-2019

low 80's this morning , been working  outside  not bad still low humidity here . don this is not a endorsement but I get my oil changes done at local Nissan dealer  they put 0-20 in for 49.95 but then I drive a Nissan but I have seen other makes there, you might check it out if there is a Nissan dealer near.
Jim
PS don were of that odd school too we have been married for 54 years.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-11-2019

Greetings, gang.

68 and partly cloudy at the moment but the sky will be clearing shortly. High for today should be around 80, so sayeth the National Weather Service.

Busy day yesterday getting the house ready for the invasion this afternoon. Niece and family arriving sometime late afternoon, grandson and family arriving by later afternoon and daughter and her hubby arriving ...sometime? Trains will be run, food will be consumed, and family time is always cherished.

This morning I need to make a grocery run. After that I need to mow and trim the yard. Everything else is prepared for the invasion.

Don - I completely understand your reluctance to use Jiffy Lube. They did our company car one time and got the oil drain plug cross threaded. Yeah, that was expensive...for them. Around here we have a car dealer who advertises no appointment oil changes at a reasonable price. My car also takes the 0-20w. The first time I changed the oil I let it go for about 7000 miles of mostly hiighway driving and it came out black and really gross looking. On previous cars I changed oil every 90 days due to low mileage trips. I've settled on a 120 day schedule now, regardless of mileage. As you mentioned you have to trust your service shop. I change my own oil so the trust level is pretty low!

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-11-2019

Good morning everyone, suppose to get up to 111 today and even higher for the next few days. They're saying that's a good thing since it's the high temps that get the monsoon storms started (we used to call them "dust storms" until someone decided we had a "monsoon" season") . Yeah, the TV lady has rain in the forecast, the MS app doesn't. Gotta stop using that app....

Thanks for the tip Jim, I checked and some dealers are advertising $49.99 for full synthetic, my Chrysler dealer is bragging about their $75 special for the same thing. Just that I know if I go there it'll be a long wait and they're sure to find at least 10 other things that need immediate attention, tires, filters, radiator and transmission flush, EGR valves, hoses, annual maintenance replacements, the list goes on (we've only got 30,000 miles on the thing)... Waiting And yeah Jim, we are an old school breed...

Just in case someone overlooked the fact that we have an O scale car up for auction, I would like to remind you once again that the auction ends on the 15th. We've only seen two bids on a car that ngauger spent hours repainting and decorating for our anniversary celebration. Take a look here and decide that you can't be without that car, and that you want to help support Big Blue in the process. The current bid is $27.50, a steal since the car out of the box is worth at least that. Please, this is a great way to help support Big Blue and get something back in return. We have all put a lot of effort in these keepsake cars, and in case you were wondering, there's more to come.
2285_ 2285_ 2285_

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 07-11-2019

Good morning all
Thunderstorms last night and this morning in eastern Ohio.
Ya'all talking about cars and oil changes.  I worked many years as a Ford parts and service manage. I remember when Ford came out with the 6000 mile oil change. We convinced a lot of people that that was not a good idea because it cut our profits, not because Ford didn't know what they were doing. 
     My son continues as a Ford tech and once told me they  had a guy with a truck with a rod bearing failure. The oil had not been changed since the first change at 600 miles. 
Ford had them send an oil sample, after anglicizing the oil they told him to replace the short block, the oil was fine. 
      Another thing I want to point out is warranty. Few dealers are willing to honor, (or even know about) the 8 year, 80,000 mile emission warranty. 
https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles-eg/federal-extended-emissions-warranties-are-often-forgotten-or-overlooked.html which covers a lot of parts (and labor). 
When I bought my new car they tried to sell me an extended warranty (the car has a 10/100,000 power train) on the items not covered on the 3/36,000 (which is actually 5/50,000) and one of the pitches was what if the catalytic converter goes bad. I told the contract salesman they would replace it under the emission warranty. He told me I was wrong. I told him he better check. He did and found out I was right. That additional warranty coverage was over 3000 bucks. 
      I worked for 5 different car dealers and ONE of them was honest. (That does not mean all of his employees were). 
We are not driving the same cars we had in the 50s, 60, 70s or even the 80's. 
Good day
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 07-12-2019

It is July, raining and 60°......... did I miss something?
It is main vacation time in Germany. This kind of summer weather is the main reason why Germans book their vacation in Spain etc. You will not risk to spend your main summer vacation with two kids in a small hotel room watching the rain at the window.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-12-2019

Greetings, gang.

Clear and cool this morning. 60 right now headed for the mid 80s. 90s starting tomorrow for the next several days. About time to fire up the a/c again.

Had a wonderful time with family last night. Typical summer food, train running, and lots of laughter. This evening I will be attending a birthday party for one of the great-grandsons.

I think I was a little over-tired last night. In bed by eleven but woke up at 4 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. Probably a nap in store for me today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-12-2019

Good morning all, yet another weekend is upon us, it's hard to believe that it is mid-July already. Well, the TV guessers changed their forecast from 111 to 113, and it hit 114. They all have 112+ into early next week, while my Windows app tells me it's only going to be 108 all those days. The app also shows no rain, while everyone else is saying up to 20% chance. I hope MS is more accurate in their other Window apps. Icon_rolleyes

Checked on the Internet and found a few reliable chains with coupon specials, full synthetic for as low as $39.99 up to $54.99, most are ones that I've been to before. They all seem to take appointments and a few include tire rotation. Like I said Charlie, you have to trust your service people. I remember years ago stopping for gas on the way back from Las Vegas and the service guy told me I had a bubble in one tire that needed to be replaced. Well, I was aware of some of those scams, like dripping water or oil in your engine compartment to show you have a leak, and even cutting belts just to get some business. And no, I didn't fall for that. And thanks for the heads-up on the emissions warranty, I didn't realize it was different than the power train warranty. One learns new things everyday, even at our ages..... Applause

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-12-2019

Morning.  Mostly cloudy.  Had rain yesterday which was good.  Still need more.  Should get this afternoon.  Farms got rain too.

Getting new type of back injections this afternoon.

Pilot buddy had stroke yesterday.  Did emergency surgery.  Going to visit him.

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-12-2019

Just an update, early breakfast at Denny's, got to Walmart just as the auto service center opened. Checked in at 7:08, van ready to pick up by 7:36. Finished shopping and headed home. Price down by $5.00, full synthetic change is now $44.95 plus one extra quart. Good now for another 7,000 miles....

Frank, good luck on your injections, seems like we're always getting one procedure or another, getting old is getting old.... Waiting Our best to your buddy, strokes are not to be trifled with.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-13-2019

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 73 with a predicted high near 90 today. Had a brief shower earlier and more rain is headed my way. Nasty storms just to the north of me.

I did almost nothing yesterday. i did get the paper stopped and got some cash for the trip. Otherwise goofed off all day. Went to grandson's place for a birthday party. Got home about 8:30. Today and tomorrow will be packing and other prep for the big adventure. I did spend some time on the internet yesterday looking for things to do and places to go while on my trip.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-13-2019

Morning.  Hot and dry.  Rain did not come as forecasted.  They busted on that one.  No one got any rain.  60% to nothing.

Pilot buddy did not have surgery.  Catheterization and sucked clot out.  He is doing great for a stroke.  Actually home.

Have a good one.