The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=8627)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-04-2019

Good Sunday Morning to ya all, yup, still morning here for another two hours. No rain in the forecast for yesterday through Thursday, yet we heard thunder for a long time during the night only to wake up to messy streets and yards with lots of puddles around. Typical, regardless of what those in the know say, it may or may not rain on any given day this time of the year here.

Got a break I think, filled the batteries with distilled water, they took about a half-gallon total, cleaned off the corrosion and tried to charge them again. This time it worked. Now we wait to see if they'll hold the charge. We lose as many batteries here from the heat as you guys back east do from the cold. Golf cart batteries run somewhere around $100 each and there are seven in our cart, so let's hope.....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 08-04-2019

So........   I'm making my weekly rounds at Garage, Yard and Estate sales yesterday and at one estate sale, I see some G scale cars.  None that I need, but next to them is a motor block.  Snatching it up, I notice that it has no price sticker and of course there is no way to test it.

It's Playmobil, so i know it'll run on the layout.   Right next to it is a flat car and picking it up I notice that it is also a motor unit  Smile  Smile  and it's marked $6.00!!!

When I got to the checkout table, the nice lady said that since the first was "just a motor" it's about $4.00...
Who am I to argue???

So for $10.00 I bought 2 motor units worth about $50.00.  As soon as I got home, I tested both and both run fine!

As a separate note:  Does anyone see any Halloween things for sale next to the "Back to School" offerings?
I was walking around a thrift store, yesterday, carrying a plastic skull .  Smile  Smile  
I put it back after showing my friend that; Yes, the Halloween stuff is already on the shelves.

It'll be Thanksgiving soon --- way too soon......

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 08-04-2019

Tom:

I'm so envious!! Did you get any good Big Boy pictures???? I've been following her on Trains Magazine You Tube.....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-05-2019

Greetings, gang.  

67 and cloudy after a brief rain shower moved through the area..  High for today is supposed to be in the mid 80s with a good chance for strong storms this evening.

Quiet day yesterday.  Watched F! and the NASCAR at Watkins Glen and went for a bike ride yesterday.  Otherwise did nothing.  Not much planned for today.  Thursday I'm taking my grandson to a hockey camp in Waterloo so participation may be somewhat spotty through the weekend.  

Mikey - the only other picture I got was posted here:

https://www.bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=8969&pid=152571#pid152571

It was too crowded to get decent pictures in Des Moines.  After I shot the (rather poor) video I was going to chase it to it's next destination but the way other people were driving I decided a few pictures weren't worth the risk so I just came home.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-05-2019

Good morning all, bright new day and new workweek for a lot of you. For us that have paid our dues, it's just another day that we sometime wish was a new workday for us. Yeah, you've heard the expression, "I had more free time when I was working then now that I'm retired", well, frequently, it's true....

Tom, you're lucky to have a chance to stand as close as you did. It's astounding just how big a Big Boy is, and amazing that it doesn't sink the rails it rides on.

Temps today look like around 112 with a sweltering 24% humidity and a small chance of rain. The rest of the week is suppose to go back down to the low 100's with rain chances increasing later this week. Sounds iffy, but none of those highly paid guessers know for sure either.

Prayers and thoughts go out to those in El Paso and Dayton.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 08-05-2019

weather about the same as dons , calling for 113 . got to go into Yuma today to get oil change on car  Nope  so no pool or modeling  Icon_cry

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 08-05-2019

Tom:

Ok - I did see that picture. Smile Smile

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-06-2019

Good morning everyone, we had a sizzling day yesterday. The forecast: 112, reality: 115 a new record for Aug 5. Our van showed 117 for a while, then dropped down to 115. It could have been that hot in spots... Today should be a bit cooler in the low 100's. Good, 'cause I don't think our A/C shut off all day and through the night yesterday.

Got all my track wired and weathered so I started to put down some ballast yesterday. Got to go slow since it's been a few years since I've done any of this, need to get the hang of it all over again.... Waiting

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-06-2019

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 65 this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. High for today is supposed to be in the low 80s. Had a thunderstorm move through last night but it wasn't worth the effort - a few gusts of wind, some thunder and lightning, and about an eighth of an inch of rain. Over in about 20 minutes.

Got the bills paid yesterday and rode the bike for about 12 miles. Otherwise goofed off for most of the day. Today will be much of the same.

Don - I've been fortunate to have seen three of the Bog Boys - Omaha, Cheyenne, and now Des Moines. They are always impressive to see and get close to.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-07-2019

Yesterday was a zoo.  Sold 4 Runner, picked up Wifey's Caddy and had a town board meeting that lasted until 12:30 AM this morning.  YES!!  Long story.  Couple of dumb A commissioners not understanding things and a lawyer for a developer with 8 expert witnesses. 

Off to Edgecombe to work.  Yes with no sleep.  Why I'm retiring. 

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-07-2019

Greetings, gang.

Pretty sunrise going on right now outside my window. Clear skies and 62 with a predicted high in the low 80s with light winds. Gonna be a nice day.

Fairly quiet day yesterday. Went for a bike ride in the morning. After lunch I fiddled with the bike seat, trying to get it just right. Also discovered my latest repair to the lawn shed didn't work. Back to the drawing board on that project. After supper my grandson and his girlfriend dropped in for a brief visit. They'll be here all day today. Not sure what I'm going to do with them except maybe lock them in separate closets.

Tomorrow grandson and I leave for Waterloo for a hockey camp. For the most part it looks like I drop him off in the morning and pick him up after supper. Looks like I'll have lots of spare time on my hands.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-07-2019

Good morning, sounds like everyone is having busy days. we used to have "BZDAYS" on the license of our truck meaning, of course, our retirement days were busy ones, or we were the busy Days (take your choice). Sold the truck and now all we have is "EZDAYS" for our van. Sometimes, retirement days aren't all that EZ though.... I do miss that truck, but have little use or energy to haul things now days.

Nice cool day yesterday, temps in the low 100's, humidity was in the 20's so it was a bit sticky as you went from the car with A/C to another place with A/C, so it isn't so bad after all as long as you can find a close-in parking spot. Goldth

Slow down there Frank, sounds like you're ready to.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-08-2019

Greetings, gang.

Another sunny day under way. 65 right now headed for the low 80s.

Grandson and his girlfriend didn't show up until almost 3 yesterday afternoon. Had a fun time with them. They left again about 8:30. He's supposed to be back here by around 10 (probably closer to noon teenager time). We'll pack his stuff in the car and head for Waterloo. Registration for hockey camp starts at 3 and they'll be on the ice by 5. Looks to be a busy weekend for him. For me, not so much.

All stay safe.

Tom

PS participation may be spotty at best over the weekend

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-08-2019

Good morning all, big storm warning last night for the west side, TV weather-guessers tracking things, cell phones going off with weather alerts. Went out this morning, found some spots on the van and had to wipe the windshield, but all-in-all, I think that storm took a different path. Today, they say no rain, temps in the low 100's and humidity around 30%.

I notice gas prices are going up a bit here. One station that was $2.80 (rounding up), yesterday, is now $2.86. Schools are in session, long lines for drop-off and pick-up at schools, so maybe dealers think increased traffic = higher prices....

Got some time today to work on the layout, gotta go slow, "now how did I do that fifteen years ago??????"  Oh yeah, my hands were a lot more nimble and my memory a bit sharper back then...Icon_rolleyes

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 08-08-2019

storms missed us too , just enough rain to spot winshild on car. headed to Phoenix today Eek Eek