The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=8627)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 09-02-2019

(09-02-2019, 08:52 AM)ezdays Wrote: Good morning, and a happy and peaceful Labor Day to you all.

Sounds like fun Frank, a well deserved break for you.

Rain, what stinkin' rain? A few pockmarks on our windshield, but that's it for yesterday's 30% chance. Today, anywhere from 0% to 30% depending on where you get your data.

Our thoughts and prayers are with those along the east coast in hopes that hurricane Dorian goes further out into the Atlantic and weakens.

Giving up on that computer, cannot repair the boot sector. Just glad it went when it did before I loaded everything on it and started to use it. Ordered a refurb HP with 8 gig memory, 1 TB hard drive and Win10 pro from Walmart. Best price and easy to return if it doesn't work.

Days, that sounds like the exact computer I got a year ago. A heads up. Mine started shutting down randomly and I guessed it was a heat problem. I when into the set up and they had not turned the fan on at all. Mine had a 6 speed option. 4 seems to work fine. 
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-03-2019

(09-02-2019, 10:49 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Days, that sounds like the exact computer I got a year ago. A heads up. Mine started shutting down randomly and I guessed it was a heat problem. I when into the set up and they had not turned the fan on at all. Mine had a 6 speed option. 4 seems to work fine. 
Charlie
Good morning all and thanks Charlie. What we think has happened is the boot sector of the HD has gone bad and everything else on C:/ is hidden. I can boot from a repair disk and the computer runs OK, tries to repair itself and will give us a DOS prompt. It's just that we've tried everything we could to repair the corrupt boot using the command prompt (DOS), but it doesn't help. It's been a very long time since I had to use DOS and to make changes to a BIOS, but that's the level we're at right now. These are all common things that normally can be fixed, but if the HD has gone south, there's not much else we can do. I'll fool with it until the new machine gets here, then upgrade its memory boards with ones from the old machine if possible. I wouldn't be concerned, but the machine I'm using now is about ten years old, and like me, it's parts are wearing out from use and will occasionally lock up and stop... just like I do... Waiting

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-03-2019

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy, very humid, and 71 this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Sunny skies, breezy, and 81 are the weather words our friends at the NWS are using to describe today's forecast.

Quiet day again yesterday. I did get in a 12 mile bike ride. Not much on the agenda for today other than starting the search for a new household insurance company.

Prayers for all those in the path of Dorian.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-03-2019

Morning.  Guessers all want Dorian to hit.  Doom and gloom.  They stay on the air instead of network shows.  Get paid big bucks.  Think it will Skirt the NC coast.  

Cousin passed.  Going to see family today.  Visit and come back for Town Board.  Tomorrow, go to Edgecombe.  Strap down camper just in case.  Spray Roundup around camper and barn.  Grass jumped out of the ground suddenly.  That time of the year.

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-03-2019

Hello Blue
Looks like 82 for today.
Yep the weather guessers love a good storm. Their predictions change by the hour.
We had a quiet holiday but my wife did fix us a good meal of ribs and homemade tater salad.
And veggies from the garden.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-04-2019

Off to Edgecombe Co. Move a stand and build stairs. They may get lots of rain but winds are going to be gusty. Probably strap down camper. Hurricane anchors already there. Just pull strap through frame. Speaking of the storm. Weakening. Dry air pulling in and eye wall not as defined. Guessers are still wanting it to hit NC.

No hear this. Biggie TV station has a new vehicle. Some big Toyota with oversized tires. Has weather radar, camera on top that rotates 360, all grades of broadcast equipment and dash camera. They call it the storm tracker. Well, it is now in Savanah GA. What the heck is a TV station in central NC doing in GA? Guess they are going to take over their parent network [NBC].

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-04-2019

Greetings, gang.

Clear and cool this morning outside my window. 52 at the moment headed for the mid70s later this afternoon.

Got the yard mowed and the sidewalk cleaned off yesterday. While getting the mower out of the shed I noticed there is still a damp spot on the floor. Pulled up the floor and no moisture underneath. I've used a bucket in the past and never caught anything dripping from the roof. I'm beginning to think it's a Pavlovian response from when the roof did leak. More head scratching.

Nothing on the agenda for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-04-2019

Good morning everyone, still fighting those 110 days, don't know where we are right now, but we have to be pushing the record of most days at 110 or higher. Still no rain, but some in the forecast, well, some of the forecasts, so we just wait and see.

Frank, every TV station on the globe wants to send a reporter into storm areas so they can get the shot of their reporter wearing rain slicks, yelling over the wind noise and getting blown over and drenched. Most every station has a satellite-equipped vehicle as well. Around here, they're always driving theirs into a storm to show us the rain and dust blowing, like we've never seen it before. Right now, our stations here are showing clips of storms from years past because we don't have much going on right now. And yeah, we're now seeing shots of a reporter knee deep in water, sucking up the results of Dorian. The question is, when hundreds of stations send reporters, cameramen, directors and "storm tracking" vehicles into the storm areas, do they do any good or just get in the way of those that are actually there to help?

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-05-2019

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 60 this morning. Clearing skies and a high in the mid 80s are expected for later today.

Got the bills paid and a bunch of paperwork cleaned up from my desk yesterday. Also rode for 14 miles but a little different from my usual. Rode 8 miles just dropping off bills, going to the bank, and getting a few groceries. Later on I went for another 6 miles.

Today will see a bike ride and my usual Thursday evening group. Not much else planned.

East coasters keep an eye on the storm.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-05-2019

Good morning all from a hot and sweaty desert. I guess with all those hurricanes lined up in the Atlantic, I don't think we need to complain that it hit 112 yesterday, tying the record and bringing it to 28 days so far of 110 or higher and now with higher humidity. It's no longer a dry heat, but like I said, we have no need to complain right now.

Tom, I'm always in awe when you talk about going 14 miles on your bike. The last time I was on a bike, I thought I was doing good just riding around the neighborhood. The last time we went for a walk, we made it around the cul-de-sac and back. If it wasn't for a grocery cart, we'd never make it though Walmart or Costco.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-05-2019

Don - that's the way to do it though.  A couple of blocks today, three blocks tomorrow, and the next hing you know you'll be able to ride to Tuscon. Goldth

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-05-2019

Morning.  Cloudy.  Expect some rain today.  More tonight with some wind.  TV folks are having fun as their bank accounts go up.

Nothing on agenda.  Do some things in the Train Box probably.  

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-05-2019

Hello Blue
Sun and 70s today. No A/C needed for several days now.
Weather Channel is totally insane with their constant coverage of the hurricane. 
Hourly updates would serve the same purpose.
No special news from here today.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-06-2019

Good Friday morning to ya all. Let's all pray that Dorian doesn't do too much damage. It seems that it's not on a steady course. Our best to those in its path.

Speaking of winds, we had some pretty heave stuff to the west of us. Six semi trucks blew over along I-10. One driver didn't make it, another went to the hospital. Four of them weren't hurt. Seems like the trucks that blew over were either empty or had light loads.

Temps to plummet down to around 107 today, and by next week, below 100. Time to break out the woollies... Applause Well, when you've had 29 days this summer at 110 or higher, going into the 90's is like going into the freeze zone. We're due for a break. Oh yeah, a good chance of rain for next week as well. Worship

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-06-2019

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy, breezy, and 63 at the moment. Skies are supposed to clear and the thermometer is supposed to get to 80.

Quiet day yesterday. Not much accomplished. Went to my usual Thursday evening silliness. Laundry is the main item on the agenda for today.

Don - my sympathies for your struggles dealing with the frigid temperatures.

All stay safe.

Tom