The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=8627)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-25-2019

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 26 this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. High for today is supposed to be in the low 50s with only light breezes. My good friends at the national Weather Service are talking about lows in the low 20s and highs in the low 30s for next week. Way too early for that.

Got the oil changed on the car yesterday and put most of the storm windows on the front porch. I left the screen in the door in case I get some warm weather later next week. Also cleaned some track and ran a couple of trains so when the new engine arrives I'll be ready to run it. Today will be spent cleaning up leaves. that will be my go to project for the next three weeks or so.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-25-2019

Good morning all, temps are starting to get reasonable. They say that our last 90 day for the year probably was two days ago. We're now in the low to mid 80's, with jacket weather coming up next week, suppose to be in the 70's all week. Going target shooting on Monday, I'll bring a jacket since it'll still be in the 60's when we get there. Was really windy yesterday, no need to clean up any leaves, Mother Nature did it for us. I'm just glad we don't live at the end of the block....

Halloween next week, just can't believe how this year is almost over and it'll be 20 years since the panic about all computers stopping on the first day of 2000 because of the two-digit year, something about the "Y2K" updates. I remember one of our customers wanted to do the update, but didn't want to pay the price. I have no idea if their security system bombed or not..

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 10-25-2019

cool morning here need  light jacket for morning walk . wife has a cell for travel but our house phone is a at&t  mobile home phone that has our old landline number that works off a cell tower at about half the cost of a land line .

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 10-25-2019

Morning.  68 degrees already.  Too warm for October.  Rain by Sunday.  Clean yards as Fall Festival in front of house tomorrow.

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-25-2019

(10-25-2019, 08:25 AM)jim currie Wrote: cool morning here need  light jacket for morning walk . wife has a cell for travel but our house phone is a at&t  mobile home phone that has our old landline number that works off a cell tower at about half the cost of a land line .

Just a few problems with using my cell phone. For some reason, the ringer volume seems to get turned down by just being in my pocket. The "down" button is too easily pressed. That, and for some reason, I find the "vibrate" function gets turned off by itself as well. The few calls that I was able to get, it took so long to get to and do the right things to answer, that the calls all went to voicemail. I've tried to call people on my contact list, and wind up just going around in circles pushing buttons and icons. Icon_rolleyes Luckily, they were all junk calls. The one good thing about our cell phone is that it's connected to the Van using Bluetooth.

The great thing about a landline, you always know where the phones are (we have six total including the train room and the garage) and the batteries are always charged.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-26-2019

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 32 at the moment with a predicted high near the mid 50s which is typical for this time of year. Next week will be a different story with highs only in the mid 30s with a 40% chance of snow Monday night.

Spent 4 hours in the yard yesterday picking up leaves. Also did a couple loads of laundry. For a treat after all that hard work I played with my new P2K 0-6-0 switcher. Runs very smooth, slow, and quiet but pulling power is very limited. Struggled to pull 4 cars up a grade that my Roundhouse Model 40 can easily pull 6 up the same grade.

Today I need to dispose of the yard waste and finish the laundry. College football at 2:30.

Another nice feature of a land line is that when the power goes out the house phone will (generally) still work.

Prayers for those affected by the fires.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 10-26-2019

Fall Festival in full swing. Street full of vender tents and people. Already had my first hotdog [mustard, chili and onions]. Photo taken by pretty admin. asst. for PD department. Free hotdogs as long as they last. Last year, 1,500.

Now back out to the street.

Pretty day. Already 75 degrees and sunny.

Enjoy the day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 10-26-2019

well another week has slipped by , or as ernie said " another day older and deeper in debt" .  and still haven't been able to finish the first helium car.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-26-2019

Good morning everyone, hope you're having as good a weekend as Frank seems to be having.

Don't worry Jim, I didn't get as much done on my layout as I wanted. Seems as if I have to call in some road graders to make room for the access road I need that is very close to the tracks. Even at N scale, it's hard to find room sometimes, especially in an ever-changing world....

Temps are a bit below normal, kind of a relief after a really hot and dry summer.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-27-2019

Greetings, gang.

Clear and 36 at the moment but clouds will increase as the day progresses. High for today only in the mid 40s but this will be the warmest day of the week. Rest of the week will see highs in the upper 30s to around 40 with some snow accumulation on the grass possible by Tuesday morning. I am so not ready for this.

Hauled off the leaves to the yard waste site yesterday. Also got the laundry caught up and re-attached the shed floor to the frame. After the rains from last week there was no damp area on the floor so I'm hoping that's fixed. Attaching the floor helped square up the shed so the doors close properly again. No more unsightly gap. Nothing major planned for today. May go to the basement and repair a switch so I can continue breaking in my new switcher.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-27-2019

Good morning all, had the A/C off for two days now and thought about putting the heat on this morning. Not yet, it is in the mid-50's right now, but it won't stay that way very long. We should hit 70 in a few hours and around 84 by this afternoon. That's what all these snowbirds come here for. And yes, they're pouring in, lots of RV's pulling small cars and driving around 20mph in the fast lane. Don't know where they all park these things, but sometimes they're taking up six parking spots in the Post Office or are blocking half the pumps at the gas stations. There are fewer and fewer RV parks around as developers buy up the property for "higher use" purposes. That meas they can make a fortune building a massive senior center or shopping center there. There is this one huge gated development near where we used to live, where you buy your lot and many have added half a house. When they drive in, they now have an additional large bedroom, kitchen or whatever to stretch out in, some are even two stories high. Other snowbirds just drive or fly in and spend the winter in their own place in one of the Sun Cities around here.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 10-27-2019

Slowly getting ready for my open house on Saturday.
I'm charging the mini cam so hopefully we'll have some video of the layout soon.
This is the 7th or 8th year I've participated. Lots of work, but lots of fun!!

They're all around Philadelphia PA and Wilmington DE beginning on Saturday November 2nd.
http://www.modelrailroadopenhouse.com/modelschedule.html

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 10-27-2019

Hello Blue
Rain you guy's that want rain, man we had it. If any of you saw the Mi. football games then you saw RAIN. And it just kept coming.
Hi of 50 today lots of leaves down now but not bare yet.
Getting together with some friends for train running this afternoon.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-28-2019

And a very good morning to ya all... Starting the week a bit chilly, some places are into the 50's right now, shouldn't see anything out of the 70's until this weekend. Breezy too, but a nice day to go target shooting, which we are going to be doing.

Mikey, looks like you guys have got a full calendar, lots of layouts to see. Too bad you're a good 2500 miles away, otherwise I'd be taking the tour. If we have something like that around here, I'm not aware of it and not sure where to look to find out if there is anything. Good luck on your showing, hope the weather is nice enough for you to get a good crowd.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-28-2019

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 29 in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. High for today is only supposed to be in the upper 30s. Half inch of snow predicted for tonight.

Quiet day yesterday. Watched the F1 race yesterday from Mexico City. Very entertaining. Never did make it to the basement to repair the turnout. Probably not going to get it fixed today either. Maybe tomorrow. Off to the gym this morning and leaf harvesting this afternoon.

All stay safe.

Tom