The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=8627)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-29-2020

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and much cooler/less humid today.  56 at the moment headed for 80 later this afternoon.

Yesterday was pretty quiet.  Rode the bike very early.  After lunch I went to Menards and found a new solar light for the back yard.  Today I need to adjust the rear shifter on me bike some more.  Also need to go to the farmers market to pick up a tomato and a couple ears of corn.  Supper tonight will be blt's and corn. 

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-29-2020

Morning.  Slept late for a change.  Tom, should have left you a produce box [ears of corn plus other veggies in them].  Sorry.  Then give you some tomatoes from garden.  

Off to FIL's house to get it ready for sale [finally].

Enjoy your day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-29-2020

Hello Blue
Cloudy and 70s today.
Storm overnight added a 1/2 inch of rain to the 4 inches we got early Friday morning. We have gone from dry to squishy.
I haven't done any training this summer but I did run some the other night. All went well.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-29-2020

Good morning all, like Frank, I slept in an extra hour this morning. hey, it's Saturday and even us retirees with no plans for today are entitled to sleep as long as we like on weekends. Out of respect for the working class, I still get up on weekdays the same time as I used to when I wasn't a retiree.

Whoever wrote that we had 43 days of 110 or higher so far this year was wrong, yesterday was the 50th day of this relentless heat. Today should be better, 104 and a good chance of rain. We've gone from an "excessive heat warning" to a "flash flood watch"....There's even a few days that could be below 100, then back into the 110+ by the end of next week. Yeah, I said, "relentless", even by our standards it is.....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 08-29-2020

Good morning folks

It is 77 going to 79. We are expecting rain from the remnants of Laura today. Had some drizzle earlier.

I too joined the ranks of sleeping late today.With the wife working from home I was getting up with her. That will be our weekday routine for the foreseeable future.

As I posted in the Weekly Photo thread I after ten plus years I opened my Proto 2000 Reading F7A and F7B. I installed the couplers which was a giant pita. Overly difficult task due to in my opinion a poor design of the pocket. I test ran them and they did well. I completed building four Roundhouse PRR express reefers. I Dullcoated two Accurail CNJ wood reefers, and two Roundhouse express reefers (one a Missouri Pacific, the other KATY).

Today we need to run to Target.I need to get a couple more bins to store stuff. In a couple categories I have filled the bins I had. Also need to hit Petsmart and get diabetic dog food and hay packs for the pond. The hay packs help keep the pond water clear. As the hay decays it releases good bacteria that helps clean the water.

For modeling I want to renumber one of CNJ reefers.I then have a bunch more to weather.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Charlie B - 08-29-2020

Good afternoon all. Glad everyone is doing OK.  I finally gat in the mood to work on some trains. I decided the decoders in my Bachmann Sharks were not up to snuff so I replaced the board with a DS13R decoder. The one I have finished runs a lot better and responds better too. 2 more to go. I also bought a set of old Model Power sharks that were dcc decoder equipped. I got 3 units for 40 bucks. Seller said he was unable to test them, which means they don't run. I have got lucky quite a few times in the past when a reset was all that was needed however this time they required new decoders. They do run very well now. 
      I used up my inventory of decoders so I ordered 10 more which will probably be the last I ever need.  I have way more locomotives than what will fit on the layout. I should have built another building just so I could have a huge yard.  
      We finally got a good rain yesterday, over 5 inches in 36 hours so no major flooding and the ground way really dry so it soaked a lot of it up. 
      I lost a friend to Parkinson's disease yesterday, some of you may have heard of him, Bruce Manwiller that did Pacing Images which were movies of the steam and diesel excursions in the 70's and 80's. He has some great videos but they were only sold at shows. 
      Everyone enjoy the summer....the count down to fall has started
Charlie

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-30-2020

Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy at the moment with sunny skies making an appearance later on bringing along warmer temps. 64 at the moment with guessed at high in the low 80s. The overnight low was 53.

I did get the rear shifter adjusted yesterday and it works much better. Also picked up a tomato and corn but forgot the lettuce so I wound up having bt's for supper. After supper I went for a walk but it was to the ice cream store so no real benefit.

Watching the F1 race at the moment. After it warms up outside I'll hit the bike path for a nice long ride. The young couple across the street left yesterday afternoon for Tennessee to get married. When I asked why there they said they just Googled a bunch of places and decided on there. Kids!

Frank - the offer is much appreciated and home grown tomatoes are always the best!

Charlie - my condolences on the loss of your friend.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-30-2020

Sunny Sunday morning.  90 degrees and not as humid.  Off to FIL's after TV Church.  Really have some Train Box things to do. 

Prayers for hurricane victims.  Our doom and gloom weather lady was preaching we were going to get some of Laura.  Thunder storms and possible tornados.  We got around a tenth of an inch and no thunder or lightning.  She should get out of the profession.    

Have a great week ahead. 

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-30-2020

Good morning, kinda late posting, didn't have Internet, thought it was my provider, but turns out that my router went south. We did get some of that wet stuff that falls from the sky yesterday, almost 1/2", good chance for the next few days. Temps now below normal, into the high 90's but way back up by the end of the week.

Going to do a test of Zoom today to see how it works, still looking for those who would like to participate in a Zoom chat, maybe once or more every month, just testing the waters on this.

Things opening up a bit around here, bars, gyms, theaters, but then we have a couple of bars being shut down because of overcrowding, no masks and general disregard for the rules. They not only posted a notice on the doors, but chained and padlocked them as well. Strange, or just a coincidence that both bars are owned by the same corporation. The news also says that there's a chance that care facilities may start opening to visitors, with lots of rules. Still, good news for me if that's true....

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 08-30-2020

We went out for a drive this morning to look at some history connected to my wife's ancestors, but not really family.
On the way back we crossed the railway and saw some cars parked and some guys pointing cameras up the line. I managed to get turned around and stopped at the side of the road. The CN local (Hespeler/Preston branch) came by with a GMD1 pulling two cars. SWMBO was still trying to turn her phone on when it disappeared.
I think the GMD1 is now a local switcher -- I saw it a few weeks ago.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-31-2020

Good Monday morning to ya all. Looks like we did get some rain during the night, so far we've gotten over 3/4" in two days, not bad but really late in the season. Looks like we might have a rainy and cool week, or a dry and hot one, depending on which forecast you're looking at. Crazy

Not much else going on here, many restaurants are still only doing take-out, other places opening cautiously. Church yesterday was limited to less than 25% capacity, every other pew was blocked and those that were open had signs limited the number of people that can sit there. No music, no singing either. I don't think that we'll ever get back to the way things used to be, buffets may never reopen, they'll still have Plexiglas at all the checkout stands and there will be people making a living manufacturing and selling masks and other protective gear. And I doubt that Walmart will ever remove those "shop this way" tags on the floor that only half the shoppers pay attention to anyway. I ordered Chinese yesterday and their entrance to their patio is now configured to where you pick up your order so you don't have to go inside. I was going to order from the website, but they wanted way too much info for me to register, much easier to just pick up the phone and order the old fashion way...

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-31-2020

Morning.  Cloudy.  Guessers don't know what is going to happen.  Future cast [computer] keeps changing from some rain to no rain and back to possible.  

Zoom Food Security meeting in a few.

Have a good one.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-31-2020

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 68 right now headed for sunny and 78. Had a brief shower move through this morning. Afterwards the wind shifted to the north and picked up to about 35 mph. That was pretty much my last chance for rain for this week.

Went for a bike ride yesterday but after I left home the wind picked up from the south and made the return trip a little more challenging than I would like. Cut the ride short and went for an hour long walk a little later in the afternoon. A shower, a Corona (not the virus) and leftover pizza completed my day.

This morning I finally called the doctor about my sore shoulder. Did something to it last month while I was swimming laps. Have an appointment for Thursday AM. Not much on the agenda for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 08-31-2020

Good morning folks

It is an overcast 72, maybe heading to 76. The fortune tellers are saying the possibility of rain today, tomorrow. Actually, they are saying it or all week.

I began renumbering an Accurail CNJ wood reefer. I also began weathering a couple of Athearn reefers. I disassembled an unlettered Con-Cor P54 combine. I removed the windows and I sprayed it with Dullcoat. This is in advance of decaling it for Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines. I began inventorying my covered hoppers.

I hope to continue the above projects today. We have to run some errands today.

I hope everybody has a good day.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - jim currie - 08-31-2020

hi all . well one more Monday is here  went to Tucson VA Friday leg was swelling again they found a infection in it caused by you guess it the blood clot , took three months to figure that out , the local VA clinic is still only doing phone  calls no skype or zoom don't think my primary provider is capable of that ,  so in order to have a personal visit you need to go to er in Tucson ( local er is like going to a staff infection )  its a three hour drive one way . other than that same old thing.
Jim