The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=8627)

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-03-2018

Good morning everyone, Wow! what a storm last night. Got a dust storm advisory on my cell phone around 6:00, the wind picked up, then the lightning and thunder and then it rained harder than I've seen in a long time. They said there was even hail here in Surprise. With the wind, the rain was falling around 45 degrees for at least a half hour. Lots of wind damage and flooding. The TV newscasters still think that we're dumb enough to pick up a power line laying on the ground and continue to give us warnings not to do that (slap on hand). Eek 

I see where there's flooding back east, tornadoes in the mid-west and fires to the west and north of us, just havoc all over right now. We wish the best to those affected.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-03-2018

Rain again.  Suppose to change tomorrow and next week.

Prayers for out buddy.  DAZ, hope the kidney stone is gone.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-03-2018

(08-03-2018, 09:11 AM)Chief Eagles Wrote: Rain again.  Suppose to change tomorrow and next week.

Prayers for out buddy.  DAZ, hope the kidney stone is gone.

Frank, it is SJ that has the stone this time. Believe me, I've had my share so I know what he's going through. The best for him for sure.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-04-2018

Greetings, gang.

67 and cloudy with rain on the way. It's much needed around here. Grass is turning brown.

Quiet day yesterday. Went for a bike ride and found one of the bridges on the nature trail has been closed. City is looking in to repair/replacement. It means I have to ride more on city streets to get my mileage in each day. Not a fan of that. Much safer and more interesting to ride the nature trail.

No major plans for today.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 08-04-2018

We are again in the low 90th. Going on since two weeks and will continue for another week. That is a very unusual hot summer for Germany. Most of the harvest suffers, most rivers have low water and ship traffic is closed or reduced, some forrest fires and some nuclear power plants are reduced due to too hot cooling water. Some concrete autobahn cracked du to the heat and got emergency repair. This is a time were I would like to have air condition as usual in many parts of the US. My room is constantly over 80° during day time until 10pm. That is not very comfortable for me.
Anyhow, still a happy retiree!!!

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-04-2018

Good morning and a happy weekend for you all. Driving around town yesterday was a challenge thanks to the storm the night before. Trees down everywhere, streets, sidewalks and parking lots. The same goes for flooding, barricades all over the place and crews busy cutting up what fell. The TV news show shots of buildings with the roofs torn off and trailers laying on their sides. Even the power company is busy, power polls down in a few areas, but worse, some 500KV towers look like some giant stepped on them. It's hard to believe that these towers can be affected by wind, but considering the size of the dust storm it did happen. They say it was around 75 miles wide and almost a mile high. The area where Ray M lives was evacuated because of flooding.

For those of you that aren't familiar with our dust storms, here's a few shots of one that I used in a newspaper article that I wrote back in 2007. These shots aren't that different from the ones they've been showing on TV of the storm a few days ago, just maybe the recent one was a lot bigger.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-04-2018

Morning.  Slept late.  Really late.  Wifey cooked breakfast.  Goofing off.  Got haircut this afternoon.  Probably mow after that.  Needs to dry out some.  Supposedly no rain today.  About time.

DAZ, think you might have had a little wind storm.  Icon_e_surprised 

Tom, peddle away.  Think that biking on the streets is not as good as trails. 

Faraway, cool it.  Icon_e_wink

Have a good one all.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-04-2018

Hello Blue
Sun and 89 for today.
I don't know if the stone passed or not. My kidney area is still sore but no pain. That was number 3 but years apart.
A few weeks ago the control panel on the kitchen stove took a dump and this week my 8 yr old laptop followed it.
Visa will love me this month.I feel sad that August is here already, summer months are so short. It isn't fair.
S.J.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-04-2018

(08-04-2018, 09:50 AM)sir james Wrote: Hello Blue
Sun and 89 for today.
I don't know if the stone past or not. My kidney area is still sore but no pain. That was number 3 but years apart.
A few weeks ago the control panel on the kitchen stove took a dump and this week my 8 yr old laptop followed it.
Visa will love me this month.I feel sad that August is here already, summer months are so short. It isn't fair.
S.J.

Glad you are better.  Sounds like things are getting old like us.  We have to have repairs too.  Icon_rolleyes

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-05-2018

Good morning all, it got up to 116 yesterday, fortunately, the humidity was around 10%. Yeah Frank, those are shots of a typical dust storm here. They usually start in the fields south of the valley and head north and west. All that dust settles on everything, then the rain follows, coating it in mud. I didn't go to the car wash yesterday, but I'm betting there were long lines waiting to get into them all.

SJ, stones aren't fun, especially when they move around. Glad you're doing better.

Y'all have a great weekend, what's left of it. Us, we're just going to kick back and take it easy, I'm still dealing with the aftermath of those surgeries I had a few months ago. Old folk take a long time to heal, I can vouch for that.... Icon_rolleyes

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 08-05-2018

German online media reported over the dust storm too. But they did not report how severe the storm itself was. They focused on the dust only.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-05-2018

Greetings, gang.

It's a partly cloudy 67 degrees outside my window this morning.  I was awakened by a thunderstorm about 5 this morning.  Closed windows and went back to sleep.  Didn't even get enough to float the ring in the rain gauge.   Better chances for rain tonight and tomorrow.

Didn't get much accomplished yesterday. Went for a bike ride and idiots have taken down the barricades on the unsafe bridge on the nature trail.  If the bridge does collapse there will be a big story that will not focus on the idiots who took the barricades down.

Looks to be a quiet day.  I may watch the NASCAR at the Glen race today.  it used to be fun to watch the guys who only turn left try to make right turns.  Now they bring in road course drivers.

My father-n-law got caught in a sandstorm once.  Car looked ok afterwards until the first time it rained.  He could barely see out the windshield.  Had to have it replaced.

All stay safe.

Tom

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-05-2018

Morning.  Hot and humid.

Dust storm.  Bet great for vehicle air filters and A/C filters in building [I know it slips inside too].  

Tom, about time for a lady friend visit.  Icon_e_wink

Hope all have a great week ahead,

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-05-2018

Although the Phoenix metro area is in the desert, it isn't sandy. I was stationed in Yuma way back when, and there is a large area that is sandy just across the California state line. They use it for a lot in motion pictures instead of going to the Sahara desert to shoot a desert scene. It was not unheard of for people that wanted to get their vehicle repainted, to drive out there and park in the middle of one of those sand storms, then submit a claim to their insurance company. Around here, all we seem to get is mud all over ours, but still, we really like the rain that comes with one of those storms. We were watching the rain the other night, and it was falling about at a 45 degree angle from the wind. And believe it or not, we sometime get hail in one of these storms even though the temperature is around 100, as we did last week.

RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-05-2018

(08-05-2018, 09:58 AM)ezdays Wrote: Although the Phoenix metro area is in the desert, it isn't sandy. I was stationed in Yuma way back when, and there is a large area that is sandy just across the California state line. They use it for a lot in motion pictures instead of going to the Sahara desert to shoot a desert scene. It was not unheard of for people that wanted to get their vehicle repainted, to drive out there and park in the middle of one of those sand storms, then submit a claim to their insurance company. Around here, all we seem to get is mud all over ours, but still, we really like the rain that comes with one of those storms. We were watching the rain the other night, and it was falling about at a 45 degree angle from the wind. And believe it or not, we sometime get hail in one of these storms even though the temperature is around 100, as we did last week.

Must have been where Dad was when he was tank training in WWII.  He kept taking about the CA desert.  Said scorcher during the day and cold at night.