Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Modular Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module (/showthread.php?tid=8706)

Pages: 1 2

Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - lajry - 05-22-2018

Having moved from Bellflower to Santa Fe Springs CA had to come up with a new plan for this apartment. Living in an apartment it will be modular since can't build anything permanent. But wanting to get something going came up with this plan plus switching info. Some will say it's too crowded but the real LAJ is just like this. There's 64 miles of track & industries crammed into a 2 x 5 square mile area.  Only going to be doing the LAJ on the west side of the LA River. Will only be doing about 7 Switch Lead, 1 yard & Santa Fe's Vernon Team as it's right next door to LAJ's Fruitland Team. Will also have a staging yard.

[attachment=28726]

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - Genetk44 - 05-22-2018

(05-22-2018, 01:14 PM)lajry Wrote: Having moved from Bellflower to Santa Fe Springs CA had to come up with a new plan for this apartment. Living in an apartment it will be modular since can't build anything permanent. But wanting to get something going came up with this plan plus switching info. Some will say it's too crowded but the real LAJ is just like this. There's 64 miles of track & industries crammed into a 2 x 5 square mile area.  Only going to be doing the LAJ on the west side of the LA River. Will only be doing about 7 Switch Lead, 1 yard & Santa Fe's Vernon Team as it's right next door to LAJ's Fruitland Team. Will also have a staging yard.

Plenty of switching in there that’s for sure. How big is the scenic baseboard going to be?

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - lajry - 05-22-2018

This HO module is going to be 2' x 10'. Will also have a staging yard off to the right. "Scenery" will only be something to ID what's on each spur. The modules will consist of 2" Styrofoam in an aluminum frame. Frame will also include foldup legs. The regular layout will on 12" to 16" wide modules. Also want to have some Switch Leads on "stacked" modules to save space.

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - lajry - 05-29-2018

Made a few more changes to the plan. Changed the spurs in upper left to be able to spot more reefers at Federal Cold Storage. Lengthened siding a bit on left end. Removed some silos from General Mills as found out those were added after my modeling era (pre 1996). Also attached latest staging yard plan. This one has a few more tracks to hold more cars. May have to make some tracks staging trays to change out cars without having to 0-5-0 them. ~} The layout is 2' x 10' & staging yard is 2' x 6'. The bridge between the two is 40".  That will be lift out for now. Added 2 more images to provide info on the industry IDs, car types & loads.
[attachment=28755]

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - lajry - 12-08-2018

Have ordered my layout materials from Home Depot & it will be here by 12/12/18! Will be building the 2 halves switching modules first. Next will be the bridge & staging yard.

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - Russ Bellinis - 12-13-2018

Looks good, Andy. I'll be looking forward to more pics as you build it.

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - lajry - 12-13-2018

Thanks Russ. Should be getting materials today from Home Depot. So will start building soon. How's you LAJ layout coming? Another friend, Bob Calicchia, is also building an LAJ layout. He has most of the track down, just needs scenery. But it's always better to completely test all your layout tracks first! Here's a very crude drawing of the module construction. Will use 2" Styrofoam to put the track on top of 1/4" plywood. It will be glued with Liquid Nails for Paneling.

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - Russ Bellinis - 12-16-2018

My LAJ has not started. I put the Ivar book shelves up years ago and then the top shelf got filled with stuff! I have not had time nor a place to put all of the stuff on the Ivar shelving so that I can build the layout.

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - lajry - 01-22-2019

Well finally got two modules built.

And here's the Construction Manager, Bob DeMoss, who gave all kinds of great help building them!

Will be adding PVC pipes to the legs to get the tops of all the rails to 50". Since this is just a switching layout, there will be no grades or even topography of any kind. There will only be tracks, structures & a few streets.

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - faraway - 01-22-2019

Hi Andy, I am glad to see the first real hardware of your layout. Have lots of fun!

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - lajry - 01-22-2019

(01-22-2019, 03:30 AM)faraway Wrote: Hi Andy, I am glad to see the first real hardware of your layout. Have lots of fun!
Thanks Reinhard. Did you recognize Bob the "Construction Manager"? He was with us on one of our LAJ visits.

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - faraway - 01-22-2019

Andy, I remember the was a third host at the second day. But i did not recognise the face.

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - lajry - 01-23-2019

This image shows both modules at my apartment. The Styrofoam is in place but not happy with the big gaps between the 2 pieces that were on hand. Will buy a 4' x 8' sheet & cut to fit. Also need to add PVC pipes to the legs to raise the modules to 50" at top of rails. the modules will be above the AC control box on wall. Plus the legs will be on casters to let me move the modules around for maintenance.

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - lajry - 01-23-2019

(12-13-2018, 10:33 AM)lajry Wrote: Thanks Russ. 
Russ
Bob DeMoss said helping me mu modules has put a bug in him to get his new layout built!

RE: Los Angeles Junction Ry Plan-First Module - lajry - 01-25-2019

(01-23-2019, 02:24 PM)lajry Wrote: This image shows both modules at my apartment. The Styrofoam is in place but not happy with the big gaps between the 2 pieces that were on hand. Will buy a 4' x 8' sheet & cut to fit. Also need to add PVC pipes to the legs to raise the modules to 50" at top of rails. the modules will be above the AC control box on wall. Plus the legs will be on casters to let me move the modules around for maintenance.
Here's the plan overview with some dimensions.