Another bash.. Coil Car, but will be continued - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Scratchbuilding and kitbashing - All Scales (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Another bash.. Coil Car, but will be continued (/showthread.php?tid=884)

Another bash.. Coil Car, but will be continued - tomustang - 03-04-2009

I does get annoying that Coil Cars are hard to find, like well cars and autoracks. I picked up a 2pc coil car cover that fits already made kit coil cars, how fun is that? Nope

I found a Hood set at my LHS

[Image: std101.gif]

STATE TOOL & DIE CO makes them, they also make the cradle for them to fit them into gondolas but my LHS didnt have any, so I decided to make a solid coil car out of flat car spine from an older AHM 45" flat car.

[Image: DSC06995.jpg]

I pulled the wooden deck off

[Image: DSC06996.jpg]

I cut some 1/4in wood up and made a frame around the hoods, I used plastiweld as a quick stick, then added the wood glue for a better bond

[Image: DSC07002.jpg]

And it doesn't look too bad for now....

[Image: DSC07003.jpg]

To be continued, I still have a lot to do like paint red oxide and decal some conrail on it, add some better couplers, etc...

Re: Another bash.. Coil Car, but will be continued - Trucklover - 03-04-2009

Tom id say that looks pretty good so far Thumbsup Thumbsup

Great use of that empty flat car Misngth

Re: Another bash.. Coil Car, but will be continued - LiveSteamer - 03-04-2009

Tom that is looking great so far. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Another bash.. Coil Car, but will be continued - upnick - 03-05-2009

Hi Tom,

Another great how to look forward to more pics and progress Thumbsup

Re: Another bash.. Coil Car, but will be continued - tomustang - 03-05-2009

Thanks guys, I might end up using 1/8" base instead of 1/4" to lower it a bit more

It will still be a while til I paint, i need more reasons to get the air gun out Goldth

Re: Another bash.. Coil Car, but will be continued - Ralph - 03-05-2009

That's a great idea Tom! Its looking good already. I might just borrow your approach to make some myself.

Ralph

Re: Another bash.. Coil Car, but will be continued - upnick - 03-07-2009

Hi Tom,

This afternoon picked up this car at the LHS at a good price Big Grin few pictures i hope help aid your construction ... if you want more pics dimensions of the car let me know.

I would like a bit of help as to where the rails /handles fit in the packet shown there please if you have some pics of their placements.

[Image: Picture888.jpg]

[Image: Picture889.jpg]

[Image: Picture891.jpg]

[Image: Picture894.jpg]

[Image: Picture896.jpg]

Re: Another bash.. Coil Car, but will be continued - tomustang - 03-07-2009

So I ended up getting some styrene 1/8in instead of the 1/4in, and painted it flat brown

[Image: newcoilcarcrop.jpg]

Re: Another bash.. Coil Car, but will be continued - tomustang - 03-07-2009

upnick Wrote:Hi Tom,

I would like a bit of help as to where the rails /handles fit in the packet shown there please if you have some pics of their placements.
I do now Welcome

There's clips where the rails go

[Image: coil2.jpg]

[Image: coil1.jpg]

Re: Another bash.. Coil Car, but will be continued - upnick - 03-08-2009

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for the pictures ....... your car looks superb Conrail of course Thumbsup