Nelson and Kaslo British Columbia - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Real World (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Canada Rails (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: Nelson and Kaslo British Columbia (/showthread.php?tid=9222)

Nelson and Kaslo British Columbia - cnrglen - 11-18-2020

This past weekend I spent in Nelson, BC with a side trip to Kaslo. I thought I might share some pictures if people are interested.

Nelson still has it's very handsome CPR train station. It's now their visitor information center.  It would be a bit large to model it on an average layout but you could compress it and still get the same feel.
And outside the station:

One of the last Fairbanks-Morse H16-44 and from my understanding the last CFA16-4, A C-liner. This was one of my reasons for travelling to Nelson. I always wanted to see one of these up close. 
I'll post more photos in my next post.

RE: Nelson and Kaslo British Columbia - doctorwayne - 11-18-2020

Looking forward to seeing more, Glen. Applause Applause Applause

Wayne

RE: Nelson and Kaslo British Columbia - cnrglen - 11-18-2020

Thanks Wayne. It was an interesting time in the Kootenays . I have a few more pictures of the engines:

The pair are actually owned by a private owner and they are on loan to the city of Nelson. They sat in Calgary for many years before finding their home here a few years ago. 

The back end of the C-liner. It still has all the hoses and MU lines attached. The soft parts of the diaphragm is missing but the striker plate and torsion bars are still there.

Those that know will notice that the CPR beaver shield is missing from the nose. I asked about it and was told it was removed and put into storage. I certainly don't blame them. I know a few railfans that would love to have it hanging on their wall.

The H16-44 is an odd duck. It's not actually a CPR locomotive and it's a H16-66. It was bought by a mining company and when retired was bought by the same owner of the C-liner. It's been repainted in CPR colours.

Here's the real difference, six wheel trucks. This makes it look like a real Baby' Trainmaster.

RE: Nelson and Kaslo British Columbia - doctorwayne - 11-18-2020

(11-18-2020, 08:20 PM)cnrglen Wrote: .....The H16-44 is an odd duck. It's not actually a CPR locomotive and it's a H16-66. It was bought by a mining company and when retired was bought by the same owner of the C-liner. It's been repainted in CPR colours.

Here's the real difference, six wheel trucks. This makes it look like a real Baby' Trainmaster

It's unfortunate that some no-neck had need to deface it.  I recall reading about some taggers who parked their cars, at night, near a freight yard in Toronto, and spent several hours defacing the property of others.  Had I known of it in advance, they would have returned to vehicles unrecognisable as their own.  Regardless of how artistic they might be, it's still vandalism - paint your own stuff if you think you're that good.  A couple of gallons of brake fluid would have done a nice job on their cars, too.

Wayne

It is unfortunate. Both engines are graphited but they have them displayed so that the vandalized sides are facing each other  so it isn't as noticeable.
I was lucky/unlucky to have a hotel room facing:

The CPR mainline. The only problem is that the train comes through at 3:30 in the morning! 
This picture was taken on the Thursday when we checked in.
This was the same scene on Friday morning:

Six inches of snow fell overnight. It was a good thing I photographed the engines the previous day.

The other thing I found in the Information center was an HO diorama of the Nelson Station and engine house Circa the 1950's

It was a pretty large Diorama and as far as I could tell the structures were scale replicas. I toured the enginehouse in the early nineties but it has since been torn down. The Kootenay's were Fairbank-Morse Territory for Canadian Pacific and you would see a steady parade of C-liners, H-liners, and Trainmasters though here. Nelson was the main servicing and division point during this time.

RE: Nelson and Kaslo British Columbia - Charlie B - 11-19-2020

Glen
      Thanks for taking the time to post all of these great pictures.  I would hope that the C-lines could some day handle a fan trip or two but I realize it is unlikely. Thank goodness someone preserved the pair. 
Charlie

RE: Nelson and Kaslo British Columbia - cnrglen - 11-21-2020

Thank you for your comment, Charlie. From what I have read, the C-liner was retired in serviceable condition but I doubt it's a runner after sitting for so long. Maybe one day it will be fully restored.

The next day we took a side trip to Kaslo, which is about an hour's drive north of Nelson, along Kootenay lake. 
Kaslo is the home of:

The SS Moyie, which is the oldest surviving sternwheeler in the world. Launched in 1898 and retired in 1957. Kaslo purchased the ship and placed it on a concrete berth to protect it.

It's an ongoing restoration project. Something this old will need constant care. Unfortunately it is closed to the public in the off-season so all I was able to get were outside shots.

There is also a rebuilt replica of the CPR station and a Caboose parked outside.

RE: Nelson and Kaslo British Columbia - cnrglen - 11-21-2020

Finishing up the trip I thought I'd show some pictures of the old Car float ramp in Kaslo

These are the pilings that would align the car float the the ramp.

There are two sets of tracks that lead into Kootenay lake. These are not for the trains but for the loading ramp. Because of the fluctuations of water height in the lake the ramp had to be adjustable. The ramp rode on old freight car trucks and could be driven forwards and back into the lake. On top of that there was a large A-frame that bridged overtop of the ramp that had a set of chain and blocks to adjust the height up and down.

The carfloat was abandoned in 1978 and the ramp was removed. The rails are still there but being used for a small shipyard company.

This is the old roadbed that lead down to the carfloat. It's now a walking trail.

RE: Nelson and Kaslo British Columbia - Charlie B - 11-21-2020

Thanks for the history lesson. The last picture tells me there are ties still buried in that trail.  The sternwheeler brings back a lot of memories because there were still a couple in use in the late 50's when we lived along, and went boating on the Ohio River.  You really did not want to be up close and personal behind one of them, as they really churned-up the water. We found a time or two that 500 feet behind was still too close, keep the bow to the wave.. Icon_e_biggrin
Charlie