ezdays 2021 do something challenge - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Photographer's right of way (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Contests & Challenges (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: ezdays 2021 do something challenge (/showthread.php?tid=9308)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

ezdays 2021 do something challenge - ezdays - 03-21-2021

The town of Santa Maria was built along the rail lines with the promise of rail service. My challenge is to provide both passenger and freight stations so these poor folks don't have to stand alongside the rails hoping a train will stop. The town council had generously donated land for both adjacent to the highway.

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - ezdays - 04-02-2021

Haven't started on anything yet, but this is my plan. I have room next to the highway for both a passenger and a freight station. I saved both structures from my old layout, so there will be minimal work on them, maybe new paint and a few repairs. I need new platforms and parking, so we'll just see where things go. If they go quickly, I'll have time for a second challenge. Those nearby structures aren't planted yet and may not stay there, so I'll have lots of room to do what I need to. I also need to clean up and ballast the tracks, I'm doing that as I go because sometimes I need to move things around to fit what I'm doing at the time.

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - tompm - 04-02-2021

Looks like a good plan.

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - ezdays - 04-14-2021

Hokie dokie, been doing stuff. First, I lost my test track during one of our moves, so I built not one, but two. One for running my engines, the second one will really save me a lot of time and frustration. It's to test for lighting leakage before I plant my lighted structures on the layout. Too many times have I had to pull a structure off the layout and patch up where light was leaking. Now that's done before they're glued down. 2285_ 

Second effort was to repair and redo the passenger and freight stations. Had some storage damage and missing parts, and thanks to my new tester, I found lots of light leakage.

Lastly, I've ballasted the tracks near where the stations will be. You don't really need to see tracks being ballasted, but that's part of my challenge, so there you go. Real, honest, progress. Icon_e_biggrin

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - Schraddel - 04-15-2021

Don,

your test track with the soft buffers on both end to stop runaway locos Applause

But the last picture with the sugar muffineer, this looks rather risky.

According to Murphy's laws:
- ballasting your tracks with brown sugar
- gnashing ballast in your morning coffee
Both, the worst and the more worst cases will happen...

Lutz

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - tompm - 04-15-2021

Good looking progress.

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - ezdays - 04-15-2021

Thanks guys, looks kinda crappy to start with, I hope it gets better.

Lutz, ballasting is not high on my list of things that I like to do, but it is so much easier with that sugar thingy. Can't remember where I got them, but I have about four.

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - Tyson Rayles - 04-15-2021

Applause  Goldth Good to see someone making progress unlike me!  Nope

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - nachoman - 04-16-2021

I might be the only person who actually enjoys ballasting...

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - ezdays - 04-16-2021

(04-16-2021, 12:01 AM)nachoman Wrote: I might be the only person who actually enjoys ballasting...

Really??? I've been thinking about planning this sumptuous dinner thingy, first class all the way. The theme, well, I thought I'd call it a "ballast party". Give everyone one of those "sugar things" and let them have a ball. You, my friend, are invited, and would be the life of the party...
Dancing 1990_dancing

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - doctorwayne - 04-16-2021

(04-16-2021, 12:01 AM)nachoman Wrote: I might be the only person who actually enjoys ballasting...

Well, that makes at least two of us in that party.

Wayne

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - ezdays - 04-16-2021

(04-16-2021, 09:43 AM)doctorwayne Wrote:

Well, that makes at least two of us in that party.

Wayne

Wow, I think I'm going to get a lot more track down before I schedule the party, it could go on for days.... 2285_

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - ezdays - 04-18-2021

Got the station planted and weathered and populated the platform. Also got the freight station loading dock in place. Note the box that the little guy is working on. It might be a bit familiar to some of you that have been around us for a while... actually, a long time ago...

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - doctorwayne - 04-18-2021

Nice station scene, Don, and while I've not seen that box in-person, I do recall seeing it in several other locations.  It was sorta like RailBox:  "Next load any road!".

Wayne

RE: eadays 2021 do something challenge - ezdays - 04-18-2021

(04-18-2021, 12:41 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Nice station scene, Don, and while I've not seen that box in-person, I do recall seeing it in several other locations.  It was sorta like RailBox:  "Next load any road!".

Wayne

As I recall, there were two versions, this one and another that just said, "Gauge Inc". Nothing exciting, but I did copy the one that you see, so that's not the orginal.