Going to Europe - Germany & Czech Republic
I returned just about a week ago - once I get my photos parsed down, I'll have to share some.

The Nuremburg International toy fair was huge, and fascinating - I did a lot of walking. In the train area, Marklin, Fleischman, Roco, Brawa, Noch, Bachman and others had *huge* displays. They take their trains seriously. The most amusing thing was live female models, in swimsuits, at the Preiser exhibit. I just didn't expect that in a model train hall, let alone for a maker of figures for scale models. Beyond the trains, there were buildings and buildings full of dolls, RC, live steam, die cast cars, childrens toys, crafty wood stuff, cheap crap, it went on and on.

Prague was indeed fascinating - it has an extensive old town area with lots of those narrow winding roads that we Americans find so fascinating and quaint. And they drive cars on them! All roads in old town were cobblestone, all sidewalks were constructed of thousands of 2" square blocks of Limestone and Granite. A lot of effort there. The city is lousy with trams (i.e., there are a lot of them!)

A note about cars - 75% seemed to be diesels. Many of those it was difficult to tell that that was the case. I didn't see one automatic transmission. Even my buddy's German friend's minivan was a five speed on the console.

The best part of the trip, in both Germany and the Czech Republic was talking to people who lived there. My buddy has been doing business in Germany for 5 years or so, and has several good friends. We had one business meeting in Prague, and after the handshake, had lunch and talked for another three hours. Good stories from different cultures.

And it's true. By my contacts and observation, it appears that Europe is in love with our new President. I saw more books about the Obama's in an Amsterdam airport bookshop than I think I've seen anywhere here at home!

Only rode one train - the Subway in Prague. I feel ashamed...

Matt
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Messages In This Thread