2"-scale Bear Creek Railroad layout at the 18th EDHT
Hello,

the event takes place at Karlsruhe in southwest Germany (approx. 150km off of Ramstein Airbase).
It's belived to be the biggest indoor live steam meet on 5"-gauge in the world and probably the only one at all.

The locomotives run on anthrazit coal only, so smoke is less, but you're right - The air "features" a lot of smoke, water and oil... But it's okay. The ventilation is not bad and it's okay. Otherwise, such an event would be impossible.

My railroad that you can see in the photos above are just a very small piece of the whole cake there...
You may search on Youtube for "Echtdampf Hallentreffen" and you'll find many videos showing the rest of the show.
As the years before, I had just little time to visit the rest of the show. We were always busy on our own railroad.

And yes, it's a lot of fun, but also a lot of work to do. The event is placed in January, when we normaly have winter and the garden live steamers can run their engines indoor on an unique event. There are also many dealers for parts, raw materials and tools at the convention so you can buy stock for the next project or just some repair parts. I bought a new two-chime-whistle for my Shay. You can here the new one in the video above.

Cheers, Gerd

Messages In This Thread