Talk to me about staging
Lester Perry Wrote:Galen you lost me some where but thats ok. I Model an imaginary section of the C&O. My main part is Clifton Forge Va., everything leaves or comes to there. I run east and west locals, east and west through trains. All through trains stop at Clifton Forge. East bound get taken apart for one of two destinations which are the hidden yard east bound. the west bound drops local cars and picks up west bound cars. The work in Clifton forge is non stop during an operating session. the locals / through trains are relitively new addition. As the local used to be taken care of by through train . But I wanted to try to add a new twist to things. Oh yeah the west bound changes power and continues on to Russell KY, which is stageing. I dont fiddle cars in staging. the entire train will be brought back onto the layout in the opposite direction later.

Delta Lines was Frank Ellison's layout, and the G&D was John Allen's layout, both of which were gone by the mid 1970's if not earlier. I think John allen died in 1972, but I may be mistaken. Both of these layouts were designed before hidden staging was invented (perhaps a better term would be discovered since I'm sure a lot of modelers thought "Why didn't I think of that?" when they first heard of hidden staging) for the hobby. What Galen is talking about were locations on those two railroads that the owners used for staging or interchange of trains. Since none of the layouts mentioned had any hidden trackage except for what might be found in tunnels, they used yards in full view at all times to stage trains between operating sessions.

Messages In This Thread