My expierience with big locos
The next construction site were the flying pumps which were devoid of any plumbings:

[Image: dsc00038xrs7d.jpg]
Fortunately the pumps were bolted on so they were easily to remove. Lagged pipe was made out of brass wires. Onto a core of 0.5mm wire a layer of 0.3mm soft brass wire was wrapped around.

[Image: dsc01689klbtn.jpg]
The method was just the same like making coil springs. I used my lathe, but it works practically exact with an cordless screwdriver. When you have catched the trick each winding will turn exactly beside the other. Because this is soft wire it will stay on the core. But keep the rpm's below your pain level Wink

[Image: dsc00039mcsnj.jpg]
Next was drilling some bores into the pumps in alarming angles to the surface of the brass pumps. To make it possible to drill in an angled mode, the points were he bores will be were marked with an tiny cherry miller. Thus enables the drill bit to "catch" in an not rectangular angle to the surface. This was necessary to do in several places.
So the plumbing was complemented. The plumbing was made out of brass wires of different diameters, all soldered sloidly together. The grasp safety was here in the fore.

[Image: dsc00040shs6p.jpg]
The feedwater heater was also complemented with lagged pipes. I orientated my self on several photos of the prototype were these lagged pipes were clearly visible, but lacked on the Westside model.

Greetings Lutz

Messages In This Thread