Old Steamers
While I have NWSL's "Quarterer", I often have as much success using the ole Mark I eyeball method. Pick the side on which you think the drivers are in-quarter, and line-up the counterweights so that they're all vertical or all horizontal. The ones on the other side should then all be at 90° to that. LIned-up in that manner usually makes it easy to notice the ones which are out of whack. Of course, if there's more than one out-of-quarter, you'll need to drop each driver set, in turn, and make the adjustment as best you can. Two on the same axle is another possibility, but there's usually enough "slop" in the rods that the mechanism will tolerate some small out-of-quarter discrepancies.
One of the best set-ups for drivers that I've seen was available with the DJH kits that were at one time offered in MR and RMC. I believe that they had a NYC Hudson and a USRA Mikado, although it's been many years since those ads. The axle ends were square, as were the holes in the driver centres - put together properly, they could never slip out-of-quarter. DJH is still active in the UK, but those American-style kits are long gone. I'd always wanted one, but couldn't afford them in those days.

I'm guessing that the steamers from Rapido may solve that problem in a different manner: The drivers in their locomotives will be built in a manner similar to the trucks on modern diesels, with all axles geared. The siderods and valve gear will move as usual, but will have nothing to do with moving the locomotive. I'm assuming that they won't be using split axles like the diesel models.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread