Poll: Is this a layout?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
80.00%
20 80.00%
No
20.00%
5 20.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Is this a layout?
So, if you're following along in here, you'll see Bob Suruncle's started building a layout. We've had a running bet for the last five years or so that the first one to finish a complete layout wins a bottle of something tasty.

Well, when I saw Bob actually getting serious about building, my weasel gene kicked in and got me thinking.... what exactly is a "layout"?

So, for your consideration I present the Weasel Flats Sand and Gravel Co. R.R.

Scale: On30
Size: 14" x 14"
Track: Code 70 Handlaid
Minimum radius: 6"
Control: Standard DC.
Operation: Continuous Run

First, the benchwork:
[Image: base.jpg]

I glued the Mt. Albert O scale pine ties to the cork roadbed:
[Image: glueties.jpg]

Once the ties were down, I stained them with washes of artist's acrylic thinned with rubbing alcohol. I used mixes of Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber and black to get the colours I wanted, and applied several coats to different ties to get a mixed effect.
[Image: stainties.jpg]

And the final result:
[Image: stainedties.jpg]

After sanding the ties level and touching up the stain, I ballasted with Woodland Scenics medium brown:
[Image: ballasted.jpg]

Then I spiked code 70 rail down, starting with the inner rail, then using 3-point gauges to hold the outer rail while I spiked it down. 2 spikes per rail in every tie make sure it's not going anywhere. I soldered a joiner to one end of each rail, and left a small gap to allow for expansion:
[Image: rails.jpg]

I weathered the rail by brushing on artist's acrylics. I just mixed until I got a rusty-looking brown I liked. I'll probably go back and tone it down with some black washes:
[Image: rusted.jpg]

And here's the Weasel Flats Sand and Gravel Co.s roster:
[Image: wfsg.jpg]

I'm currently mulling how I'm going to detail the layout... I'm thinking a small loader of some sort on one side, and a truck on the other... although 1:48 vehicles aren't as easy to find as 1:87. I'm thinking a Ford Model A with a dump body, and maybe a front-end loader of some sort, or maybe a conveyor.... piles of sand and gravel here and there..... and maybe a victory bottle if I get it done before Bob! Icon_twisted

Messages In This Thread