10-03-2026, 05:24 PM
I will say, Tom, it's a challenge for the fingers and my patience. Tiny, tiny parts. Can't tell you how many times I was under the desk hunting by tactile feel...
Well, the stage 1 weathering began tonight, and I began with 5023. Key things for me to hit with black were all of the intakes, the walkways, trucks, undercarriage... Prototypical for these units in 1976-77. I've seen some pictures where the locomotive is incredibly grimy - looks like it took a bath in coal dust. After the intakes I work a very soft dry brush in vertical strokes from top to bottom, making sure I hit seems, hinge plates, door handles. I'll do a similar treatment on 5018 and the C628 which now has it's windshield wipers.
The shot below is the equivalent of a before stage 1 (5018), and an after (5023).
Stage 2 is rust and grime washes - ain't for the faint of heart if you're into pristine locos fresh out of the paint booth...
Well, the stage 1 weathering began tonight, and I began with 5023. Key things for me to hit with black were all of the intakes, the walkways, trucks, undercarriage... Prototypical for these units in 1976-77. I've seen some pictures where the locomotive is incredibly grimy - looks like it took a bath in coal dust. After the intakes I work a very soft dry brush in vertical strokes from top to bottom, making sure I hit seems, hinge plates, door handles. I'll do a similar treatment on 5018 and the C628 which now has it's windshield wipers.
The shot below is the equivalent of a before stage 1 (5018), and an after (5023).
Stage 2 is rust and grime washes - ain't for the faint of heart if you're into pristine locos fresh out of the paint booth...
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
