Modifying a diesel (BR211 to M44)
Doh! I just now noticed the red lines on your photograph. If those denote the areas to be removed, use a hacksaw where appropriate, then finish to size with the mill file. By the way, I seriously doubt that your loco's frame is steel - it appears to be a zinc or zamac casting, and should cut and file fairly easily with hand tools.

tv_man Wrote:You mean a hand-powered file there, Wayne?

Oh, and more questions regarding rewiring the engine (the brass rebuild option...this is real fun, by the way): While I would prefer to leave the engine in a state which allows it to be removed in case it needs to be replaced or throughly cleaned, I need to attach a piece of brass directly onto it - is it safe to solder directly onto the engine housing or are there parts which might break when doing this? Given that it can overheat, for one... Also there are some plastic parts on the engine, I am not sure what their function is, might want to find out and possibly remove them altogether as they might bite the dust when soldering nearby... I just found out that they are rather essential. Moving right along...

I assume that by the highlighted words in the quote above you are referring to the motor which powers the model - such an electrically-powered device is always called a motor, while "engine" can refer to the locomotive itself, or to the device, other than a "motor", used to propel it. For example, a diesel engine powers most real locomotives in use today, driving an alternator or generator which provides electricity for the electric motors which actual propel the locomotive.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread