Changing a simple coach
Wayne,

I would like to make a short addition to my roof construction, a mixture of plywood and styrene. Yes, I started with a plywood construction because my first intuition was to build the roof from balsa wood that I could grind to the wished shapes in a very short time. However I have had my misgivings about the stability of such roof ends and after discussions with friends I changed to the styrene sheeting – after formed plywood parts were glued below of original roof. I know that a solid styrene construction would be the better solution however it was too late for correcting all. My styrene sheet for roofing is .050 inch thick and so I would have a good material for a solid construction. You are right with your idée – however gluing styrene using a lacquer thinner that is a new idea too me. But you said I love to build with wood so that working with styrene is a very new experience to my.

However here I would like to add new questions without any idea. Exactly for this roof I plan to give it a surface imitating rain insulation as the original cars have had it before metal sheeting was come a standard. I think that there were to ways for insulation; using tear paper or more yet using tared jute or linen. I will like to use a very thin cloth like silk or a synthetic material that I will glue in strips on roof and where the borders will have small overlaps.

Wayne and all you experienced modelers,
did you built such a roof insulation in your model building career? Remember please that I will like to do this building an HO-scale model. I would try also a thinned lacquer for fixing the fabric to the plastic roof and I hope for seeing a small raw surface after fixing. Or should I use very thin paper for this? I think that I will make a few tests with different materials and various fixings however I would like to use your experiences if they should exist. What do you think?
I’m very interested to get your answers. Thank you very much for your answers and opinions.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread