A few additions to my locomotive roster and a rebuild
Galen

The True Line Trains warm black when sprayed looks like a black but it has a warm look that seems to let the details stand out. It may have a little boxcar brown in it but I am not sure. I have heard of a warm black mix that uses black, boxcar brown and a little white. The warm black is not considered a real black but more of a black for models that will be viewed under indoor lighting.I find it is a very nice black for steam locomotives. Not too dark that it makes the locomotive look like a huge shadow but not too much of a gray either.
When I add my clear coat ( a mix of Testor gloss and dullcoat. 70% dullcoat & 30% glosscoat thinned 50% with lacquer thinner . ) it also changes the color of the black some. It takes on a very slight gray look which is most likely caused by the dullcoat. So far I have found the TLT acrylic paint to be very nice paint to spray. It is airbrush ready right out of the bottle. It goes on real well and gives a nice smooth finish. There is no need to thin it but I do add some Badger Modelflex retarder to slow down the drying time as I have found the airflow in my spray booth can sometimes cause the paint to try before it settles out. Besided the TLT warm black I have test sprayed some TLT CNR olive green ( green #11 ) on a old passenger car and the green went on smooth as well. I was testing the olive green before I spray my brass CNR bullet nose mountain steam locomotive. Smile

I will also be spraying some TLT mineral brown ( CN red #11 ) on a caboose and a boxcar later this week. I had two TLT CNR cabooses with the same road number so I stripped the paint from one and will be repainting it all mineral brown. Once I get them painted and decaled I will be posting some pictures.

The lights I use for photo taking and the cameras flash also change the look a bit. I have been experimenting with different camera settings and light sources to try and get more true to life pictures. The last photos I posted are closer to how the locomotive looks in person.

Wayne Reid

Messages In This Thread