Bourbon Whiskey Distillery
Ken;

Will try and answer all your questions as best I can.

Yes, the main distillery building at the Buffalo Springs Distillery, was built of stone. I've been trying in vain myself to locate some good photos of this distillery, when it was still in operation, or in 1969 when the distillery was in the process of shutting down. But haven't found much so far. I've attached a very poor photo that I cleaned up as much as I could, that shows FCIN GE 70 ton No. 101 (in the Pinsly paint scheme) getting ready to pass the distillery in route to Frankfort. This photo would have been taken around 1962.

As for the grain elevator, the photo on the left on the page you reference <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.abandonedrails.com/article.asp?id=315">http://www.abandonedrails.com/article.asp?id=315</a><!-- m -->
shows the small elevator and you can see that the 4 small silos were constructed of some sort of brown colored block, as was the head house. There was a steel grain leg on the track side of the elevator where the grain was loaded into the silos.

As for the freight cars:

All coal received for any of the distilleries on the F&C or the L&N was in L&N twin or tripple hoppers.
Pretty much all of the corn received came off the L&N in Louisville, KY, would have been loaded in 40 foot box cars at first, then later covered hoppers. And the PS2CD could certainly be used, although L&N 200,000 series Big Blue covered hoppers became the norm when I worked for the FCIN the first time in 1969. I remember also receiving a lot of corn in PS2CD covered hoppers that were lettered for Indiana Farm Bureau Co-Op, but can't remember the reporting marks for those. Cars of malt or rye, did come in in mid-west road covered hoppers and sometimes 40 foot box cars. We'd see a lot of SOO Line "Color Mark" covered hoppers, CNW, BN, and even RI covered hoppers showed up now and then.

Box cars that were used for shipping out case or barrel whiskey were actually of a pretty wide variety. Several railroads had 50 XL type box cars in pool service here in Frankfort. The L&N had a fleet of new 400,000 series Dual Air-Pac 50 foot box cars. Other railroads that had pool cars assigned for whiskey loading included: MP, TP, UP, SLSF, C&O and B&O. All of these cars were 50 foot cars equipped with one type or other of load restraining devices (DF, DF2, Car-Pac, Spartan Easy Loader, etc.) and all had cushioned under frames or end of car cushioning. Some had standard sliding doors (8-10 foot width) - some had plug doors.

Depending on the era, the dried mash (feed) was shipped out in box cars and then later covered hoppers. Some of the box car shipments were actually bagged (although I doubt this occurred at the Buffalo Springs Distillery). In 1969 it was about a 50/50 mix between box cars and covered hoppers; then through the 70's and 80's, most of the feed was shipped out in covered hoppers. National Distillers had a fleet of leased ACFX center flow covered hoppers that were used for this purpose (SHPX reporting marks). These would have been the early model center flow type cars, not sure who if anyone makes models of the correct type car. But to answer your question, yes the PS2CD would be perfect for this.

As a side note: In almost no case were covered hoppers that had contained corn, rye or malt be reused to load out the dried mash. Foreign road cars especially. There were a few instances when L&N covered hoppers were reloaded, but we had to get permission from the L&N to reload these.

The last move that was ever made out of the Buffalo Springs Distillery, was a shipment of 20 box cars of whiskey in barrels. All these cars were brand new Southern 50 foot XM box cars (think "Southern Gives A Green Light To Innovations"). These cars where shipped out 2 at a time. We'd pick up 2 empties at Georgetown from the Southern and spot them on the way back to Frankfort. The following morning on the way to Georgetown, we'd pick up the 2 loads by shoving them out of the siding with a push pole so we wouldn't have to shove them to the Stamping Ground siding. We'd then couple to the cars and take them to Georgetown and repeat the process, until all 20 loads were sent out.

Hope this helps

Ed
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread