What dont you like about this hobby
Triplex Wrote:Didn't realize the extent of a firestorm this would create...

Quote:I'm trying to reconcile your annoyance with nostalgia with your signature line that professes being a fan of the 40-50s PRR. Smile Just kidding, but I am curious about the comment about an "unhealthy level" of nostalgia. Are you suggesting that the American tendency to model the transition from steam to diesel is overdone? Too cliche'?

More or less.

I admit my interests are influenced by what I've been exposed to, though mostly not first-hand. And I suppose I let myself feel somehow superior for treating non-local railroads equally - and I sometimes feel guilty for not giving some foreign railroads a chance!

I suppose I'm influenced by the perception that, at some fairly recent time, most steam-era modellers were old enough to personally remember it. I guess that isn't true anymore.

Quote:Interesting. In what ways do you feel you are oppressed?
On some forums, both some I'm a member of and some I just read sometimes, there are a lot of political statements. Most are conservative, pro-war or anti-environmentalist (except for being pro-rail). On sites which nominally discourage political discussion. I get the feeling that, if I were to make what I consider equally politicized statements reflecting my views, I wouldn't be welcomed.

What do your politics have to do with your statement that "nostalgia is unhealthy"? Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to discuss your politics rather than model railroading.

Messages In This Thread