What dont you like about this hobby
nachoman Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:Fantasy modeling occurs when the modeler first has to make up his own rules, and then follow them. For example, I once designed a model ATV for four-armed humanoid life-forms, complete with interior. There are no prototypical models for that sort of thing. This was part of a large diorama featuring five different "layers" of alien cultures, all different, and each based on a different premise.

A thought just popped into my head... Has anyone ever seen a layout where someone attempted to model the future? Most of us model the past, in some cases an alternate past. Some model the present, but I can't think of a single model railroader who attempted to model what they think trains will be like 5, 10, or 100 years from now. Other model hobbies have future modelers. Plenty of people are building futuristic car, aircraft, or space ship models. But, other than a few whimsical trains with rocket engines attached, I can't think of ever seeing a future-based layout.

I did see a "moon" layout once, complete with "moon trolley" and light weight Moon-track. It was a Broad gauge HO set, but it was made here in the USA. i'll have to dig up the article on it. thats the most futuristic i've seen!

I once had a dream where i went back in time and modeled conrail (the future conrail) in the 1950s. none of the PRR peoples believed me when i predicted New York Central would merge. Needless to say, i made some profit off of those bets.
From that dream, i thought about it, but to in order to make a reasonable future layout, (at least in my view), i'd have to have a a finger on the pulse of where railroads are going. It would also be tricky since i bet i'd have to build some things from extreme kitbashing or maybe even scratchbuilding.

I Imagine that if i were to build a future layout, most of the passenger equipment would be replaced by Alstom and Bombardier equipment. I might even model a futuristic BNSF electrification idea that has been thrown around. (i've seen concept designs of Norfolk Southern Freight electrics based off of the ALP46 electrics of NJ transit).
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread