GG-1 Generator Car Powered
Puddlejumper Wrote:As far as I know, and I hope I am wrong, no GG1 will ever operate again unless the internal equipment is replaced to eliminate the hazardous PCBs that are inside some electrical components. Some federal EPA law or something like that. I can't see why a group couldn't combine, say, a GG1 and the components from a retired E44 or E60CP, but it is prolly expensive and difficult. Plus the cracked frame problem the GG1s were known for.

For a more direct answer, no, there is no such group or set up with an operating GG1 currently, but we can all hope one day there will be.

The only GG1 that had all of its electrical gear was 4800, but it had a main transformer failure (at which point conrail just donated the engine as-is to strasburg). Of course, when the EPA found out, they tore into old rivets and made sure she was dead. This is why she is sitting in that black paint out front, and not painted up in Pennsy pinstripes like it used to be.

Actually, the reason you can't do that is because the last E44A ALSO has all its electrical gear ripped out because of the PCBs and other things. I'm told the whole carbody is actually welded shut and it just sits at strasburg to look pretty.

Similarly, there are only two E60 locomotives left, one E60MA at strasburg, and an NJ transit E60CH on the Boontoon line. Maybe there are parts to a freight E60 out there, but still, the frames are pretty damaged, so its not likely they will run.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread