GG-1 Generator Car Powered
Puddlejumper Wrote:Thanks for the reply GEC! Regarding the frames, I recently read in Pennsy Electric Years that the cracking was so bad and obvious that the PRR often repainted the running gear of the GG1s, P5s, and P5as to cover up and therefore hide the cracks from the FRA inspectors. True? I don't know, I wasn't there but I believe it. It was a different world back then. The fines levid would be steep for that nowadays.

I have that same book, and its true. I've personally inspected the cracks on some surviving units of that time. However, the real danger are "micro-fractures". I can't find it, but i saw a special photo taken of a GG1 frame showing these fractures. Its because of these millions microscopic fractures that you can't just "repair" a crack. the frames would literally shake themselves apart. While i personally believe those frames would still last, its still legitimate to say they aren't entirely stable anymore. The people in PRR, even in Conrail/Amtrak/NJT days would never be able to see them, but modern Technology makes them apparent.

However, the truth is, that while the frames are in rough shape, that can be fixed. What can't be solved is the lack of the antiquated electrical gear. I still don't understand what the difference is by using a different transformer rated for the same electricity to hypothetically power a rejuvenated GG1, but people on this board seem to think it would create a different feel.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread