My Take On Operations "Game"
Steve, thanks for your reply, and your PM reply the other day. I think I am getting closer to understanding what to do. I think what I have mocked up on index cards will probably yield the same result as some of the suggestions I have received. The big difference is, I have made index cards to create a switchlist based on the industries and situations. Whereas if I read your suggestions correctly, you suggest I create the switchlist based on the possible moves each car might make to the industries and sidings. I have not made any cards specific to a car, only to industries and situations. If you look at my post above, I tried to layout how I was doing it. I think we'll end up with the same result, just from a different way. In essence, I am making up the same card as you suggest, I just left out the actual car to be used for any particular operation, thinking that Boxcar xyz could go to any number of industries. I was thinking more of assigning the cars while I wrote out the switchlist, (based on what I have availabale in the yard) instead of the cards actually being the switchlist. I also like the idea of having "WILDCARDS" which might force me to draw a situation/problem card from a separate deck....I think it will give me a little excitement dealing with the unknown, such as you suggest in your Situation Modeling thread.

So I think the final question to you all would be ...... is it better to make several cards for each car and its possible moves, or make the card specific to a move and THEN assign the car while making the switchlist?

I'm lovin' the help, please keep it coming........ Popcornbeer
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191

Messages In This Thread