Penn Central
Well there you go...that sounds perfectly reasonable. Big Grin

I guess I'm turning into more of a collector/operator rather than an operator/collector. I've realized that when some of these engines are offered, you better pick them up while you can, because they might not be made again for many years...if at all. I've already bought too many engines just because they were a great deal, mainly because I have a hard time passing up saving 50% or more on an engine. I'm trying to be more judicious in my purchases, trying to make a reasonable effort to acquire new equipment when it (1) fits our time period (2) would be run as a museum or excursion train in real life or (3) because the boys and I really want to have it for historical value and finally (4) because the deal is just too good to pass up. My LHS owner is great about marking things down that have sat on the shelves for more than a year. (A few months ago I left the store with two engines - an Atlas and a Kato - buying them for around 65% off MSRP! BTW...he's got a Precision Craft Models E8 in SP colors for under $50 if anyone is interested.) So I'm at that same crossroads about adding a Penn Central E8 to the collection. We don't need it...but we could use it with the GG1 to model that transition period when Amtrak was young and PC was all but finished.

And with all the information I've learned from this thread, I'm even more tempted to get this engine just for the historical significance. How many engines have been made for Nscale in PC colors? Not many. Atlas has done one that I can quickly think of, and now Kato will be making two...the GG1 and E8. (I decided to get the GG1 in Amtrak colors since I have a fair amount of Amtrak in our collection, but if I found the Penn Central GG1 sitting on a store shelf, I'd get it.) Would they run on their own power in the real world...no, I know the catenary system isn't there to support them any more. But on my layout they'd be dragged or pushed by another diesel just to make the boys and I, along with the LPP's that think like we do, pleased to see a historically interesting engine roll through the station. Wouldn't most railfans enjoy seeing a GG-1 in an Amtrak string of engines/cars roll past...just to say you saw one on the rails? Well...a PC E8 isn't quite the head-turner that a GG1 is...but in the black and white PC colors...it would make for an interesting train on the layout. Wink
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread