Industries -A Open Discussion.
Very interesting thoughts,I for one basically have chosen what i model according my own personal preference(appeal,cost,era,etc.For example as far as Boxcars are concerned i prefer the Berwick & Gunderson "Hi-Cubes"...I just like the height of them compared to standard 50"&60" 5277 sqft boxcars,or the smaller 40' boxcars.Considering the fact that my future switching layout will consist more of boxcars than any other type of rolling stock.The standard boxcar just doesn't appeal to me compared to the Hi-cube.The Hi-cube can handle realistically more weight and cargo,and i really like the "Excessive height" labeled on both ends with the background in white.I think it looks really cool.I prefer the Double-door,over the single door.The DD looks more "stealthy lookin".Since the majority of my industry's will be Automotive parts,I feel the Hi-cube best fits what i need.I have considered the 86'ft boxcar,but most of those were produced to carry auto/truck engines,and basically would take up alot of room on a switching layout.A majority of my Hi-cubes are Athearn Genesis Berwick & Gunderson 60' boxcars and Exactrail 50' Gunderson Hi cubes.I think these are the only manufacturers of the Hi cube,except for Walthers,and i have a few of those too.Considering the fact that my layout will be based in the Metro Detroit area,their are alot of Auto suppliers in this area.Most Auto producers out source their supply of parts to smaller companys to make their parts for them.A good example is Lier,they manufacturer the seat frames,and other parts for Auto manufacturers.Most of these companys plants are much smaller in size compared to a Auto production plant.I know of plants as small as 10,000 sq ft,which to model on a HO layout would be fairly simple to do(scratch built of course)

An issue i consider greatly is "Detail"...does the model have underbody details(brake resevoir,airlines,uncoupler levers,etc.),seperate handrails,brake wheel,platform,etc.Granted on some models i can add the details,but i prefer ready to run rolling stock.Again size is also a determing factor of the rolling stock that i choose.For instance tank cars,most of my tank cars are 17,600 gallon -20,7000 gallon tank cars,which carry liquid sugar,liqiud propane,corn syrup.relatively short in length and can handle a #6 switch without any problems.Since my layout will consist of #6 switch's alot of longer rolling stock would be inpractical to run on my layout(86ft flatcars,86' autoracks,passenger cars,intermodal well cars,etc).I do how-ever have in my collection some articulated autoracks(modern)which will be for the purpose of inbound autos/trucks from the port of L.A which will consist mostly of overseas manufacturers of autos/truck/suvs(i.e Mercedez Benz,BMW,Audi,Volkswagen)Since most manufacturers of 1:87 scale vehicles are producing Foreign autos and not American,I decided to model a small 2 track yard for this purpose.I also chose 2 & 4 bay hoppers,just cause i like them and they are short in length so i can fit more of them on my layout.The 2 bay hoppers will serve my local cement factory,and the liquid sugar,corn syrup tankcars(Atlas,Intermountain) and 4 bay hoppers(Athearn genesis 5161 cu ft trinity)(Flour) will serve my commercial bakery(Name yet to be determined).

I appologize for jumping all over the place relative to the subject matter of this thread,but i just get "excited"talkin' bout this kinda stuff.My brain is 47 years old and it's not as sharp as it used to be.So if i go off on a tangent...forgive me. 357

...continuing with the subject rolling stock.Coil cars and Gondola's are another part of my collection which i chose to add to my collection...why?...auto parts,die stamping of metal parts.My coil cars(Red Caboose) haul in the rolls of steel to my stamping plant(auto related),and the Gondola's(Exactrail Thrall gons) serve 2 purposes,one being they haul away the scrap metal from the stamping plant and are returned to the manufacturer to be melted down to make new steel,and they are used to bring in additional rolls of coiled steel.(Steel manufacturer will not be modeled on my layout,maybe in a future expansion). Wink
Don Shriner

Messages In This Thread