A question on car loading.
rrinker Wrote:Was the per hour thing always the case?
--Randy
As I mentioned in another post, it was always Per Diem in my railroad days and at this point I can't say for sure if it was or wasn't computed hourly, but it sticks in my mind that it was a "per day" rate rather than hourly. I need to look through some of my railroad junk and see if I can find any info on this to refresh my "aging" memory Icon_lol . This thread kept me up half the night trying to remember a lot of this stuff. For instance, I "forgot" about mileage charges, because I can't for the life of me ever remember there being one - but...

If it's computed hourly these days, it must be a change from "my day" just as demurrage charges have gone from $7 to $60 per day. I'm wondering if this hourly rate came about in part because of the IPD (Incentive Per Diem) craze of the 70's and early 80's? I know that the "big roads" didn't care much for it!

I can find stuff on the internet about current demurrage rates, but can't find out anything about car hire (per diem?) so maybe Charlie or someone currently involved in this aspect of railroad industry can shed some light on this for us.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to Norfolk Southerns Demurrage and Storage Rules/Charges tariff (it's a PDF file): http://www.nscorp.com/nscorphtml/pdf/Cus...6004-C.pdf
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread