He's On The Ground !
Gary S Wrote:1982, I guess the locos were smaller than what is used today. Would that trestle hold up one of today's humongous modern locos?
No way!!! Maximum gross weight on the line was 230,000lbs because of the numerous wooden trestles and light rail.

The F&C used 2-8-0's in their steam days and then replaced them with GE 70 tonners. They then purchased used ALCo S-2's/S-4's in the late 70's which were actually too heavy for the 70 pound rail in my opinion.

Pinsley had actually purchased and painted a CF-7 for the F&C, but it never made here. That would have been too heavy for the line for sure! I sure wouldn't have wanted to be the first to ride it over any of the F&C's trestles!!

I guess you mentioning larger power reminded me of this, but you know how us model railroaders think that a No. 8 turnout is so long? Well, the switch off the L&N main line leading into the Frankfort yard was/is a No. 8 turnout as were most of the turnouts in the yard and 6-axle locomotives were never permitted to enter the yard because it was such a sharp turnout! Just think, most of us tend to not use anything larger than a No. 6 on our layouts and we think nothing of running models of 6 axle engines through them!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread