P5se Camelback’s EOY Challenge
doctorwayne Wrote:... Gary, I think that scale test cars had a number of larger, fixed weights, and also some smaller removeable ones ...
The car's weight could change over time due to brake wear, repairs, etc. and they were required to be periodically re-weighed on a calibrated scale to ensure that their weight was as-stated on the dimensional data - otherwise, they'd be useless for calibrating other scales. According to the info in the link, a scale was required to be accurate to within 200lbs. when measuring a weight of 50 tons. The access doors would allow these smaller weights to be added or removed to/from the test car, keeping its weight accurate. Wayne

Thanks, doctorwayne, that's what I thought I remembered, but I wasn't totally sure (I don't trust my memory to be 100% accurate any more.) So while I was out looking up something to reinforce my memory, You answered the question for me, and I thank you for taking the burdon off! Seriously!

BR60103 Wrote:I think a scale would have to be tested at other weights than the maximum of the car, so assorted weights are removed to check the midpoints. And I think that the cars didn't have air brakes so that there would be no wear from that factor.

Actually, the minimum weight for a Scale Test Car is 80,000 pounds. That is it's calibrated weight, as checked on a calibrated master scale. The small doors are used to add weight to make up for wear of the brake shoes and wheels. They have weathertight seals and are closed tight and have special locks to discourage tampering.

In reality, some Scale Test Cars did have fully operating brakes. The Reading Company's cars, one of which I am modeling, is an example of such a car, as is illustrated by the first photo of this thread, the inspiration for this entry into the Challenge.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread